Question about vacuum pump and "Big Mouth Bubbler"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just reading the comments on that universal lid and it seems like the biggest complaint was the friction lid. That shouldn't be an issue when using it with the AIO or anything except using it as a primary fermenter. Then you could use the original lid.

I do recall some of my customers using this Big Mouth Bubbler . I do not recall which bung was needed - as most of the time I just ask for measurements

I'm looking forward to your experiment results. There have been times when I have wanted to use my Bubblers as receivers. Especially when I am racking to a smaller carboy and have more than 1 gallon left over. I have just been afraid of breaking the lid. Plus the bung issue. The glass in my Bubblers are thinner than a regular carboy but it seems as substantial as the one gallon carboys (used Carlo Rossi wine bottles) I routinely use with the AIO, and no serious looking defects. I trust the glass with the AIO.

Let us know how it goes and, if you end up getting one of those universal lids, I am curious about them as well.

I tried pulling into the stock lid/little big mouth combo with my AIO this morning and for my application (static head guesstimate under about one foot), there is no problem. This includes the fact that although the lid normally uses a #5 stopper, the #3 stopper that is standard with the AIO bottling setup will work. This may be a good time for me to learn how to drill stoppers, but in the meantime I can get along with this arrangement. I did not order one of the universal lids.

I tried pulling into the stock lid/little big mouth combo with my AIO this morning and for my application (static head guesstimate under about one foot), there is no problem. This includes the fact that although the lid normally uses a #5 stopper, the #3 stopper that is standard with the AIO bottling setup will work. This may be a good time for me to learn how to drill stoppers, but in the meantime I can get along with this arrangement. I did not order one of the universal lids.

If you move on to option #2, I understand that freezing the stopper before drilling helps a lot.

I have a glass Big Mouth that I use for secondary when I EM. I use the AIO to transfer into it. I'm not sure which size, I have three sized of the drilled bungs with tubing I bought from Steve. I have not had a concern about the lid or the vessel collapsing although the large lid will sometime lose its seal. Once the fermentation is done and the skins bag has dropped but EM is not complete, I use a headspace saver to pull a vacuum just to reset the lid's seal. To be clear, at this point I also top up the big mouth and dose the wine with Kmeta before resealing it. I have not had a big problem with oxidation but want to sate safe.

I do have some #5.0 - 2 hole bungs which are not on shown on the website - Please contact me directly if interested.

Cork borers are available for different size holes. You will need glycerin for a lubricant. I have two, a 3/8 and a 1/4. You can also get a set, I think of 5. If memory serves me, I may have bought corers at piwine.com.

Hi, I am planning on fermenting in a 6.5 glass gallon big mouth bubbler then rack to the 5 gallon glass big mouth for aging about 4 months. I was wondering can I use the all in one pump system to rack and use the the Aio headspace eliminator. I want to use the 6.5 glass because it has two bung openings on the lid and I can place the mast er vintners Excalibur infuser with wood chips. I really want the use the Aio head space eliminator on the 5 gallon glass big mouth. Any info or advice will be great. I still need to purchase the Aio. Thank you!!!

How did go with the AIO and the 5 gal big mouth ?? I just used the AIO to transfer to a 6.5 big mouth glass bubbler and the ribbed lid seal was pulled off the lid by the vacuum

Hi, I am planning on fermenting in a 6.5 glass gallon big mouth bubbler then rack to the 5 gallon glass big mouth for aging about 4 months. I was wondering can I use the all in one pump system to rack and use the the Aio headspace eliminator. I want to use the 6.5 glass because it has two bung openings on the lid and I can place the mast er vintners Excalibur infuser with wood chips. I really want the use the Aio head space eliminator on the 5 gallon glass big mouth. Any info or advice will be great. I still need to purchase the Aio. Thank you!!!

I would recommend using the 1/2'' setup as it will reduce the overall vacuum in the vessel. Pulling a full vacuum is very powerful - so I would not use the headspace eliminators using the big Mouth containers

Man that stinks, that's worrying, do they look like they got damaged in shipping or due to mediocre construction?
It is not likely that a glass carboy will implode under vacuum. Thin-walled glass vessels such as mason jars do not implode under vacuum, and they have large mouths. If you are concerned, do a test using water first.

It is not likely that a glass carboy will implode under vacuum. Thin-walled glass vessels such as mason jars do not implode under vacuum, and they have large mouths. If you are concerned, do a test using water first.
Carboys are typically of solid construction and can handle a vacuum. For other containers? Be 100% sure of your choices. This is a poor area for guessing.

I did a lot of research in preparation for vacuum transfer from a primary into a 54 l demi. I did not find a single example of implosion on any carboys that were free of preexisting defects. I did multiple tests with water using 1/2" tubing as Steve suggested and encountered no problems whatsoever. As Bryan points out, closely inspect your containers for any signs of damage. "Oops" is not a good thing at the time of transfer.

Latest posts

Back