RJ Spagnols Question about RJS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggerdan17

Self Made Thousandaire
Reaction score
My friend took 12 bottles of a WE selection international Shiraz that i had made for me about 3 months ago at our local hobby brew shop.

She is going in to bottle a batch next week and is giving me 12 bottles in return.

My question is what kind of wine is a Grand Cru chilean Malbec?
I though i heard her say it was a grapeskin kit but on the RJS website i had trouble figuring that out.

Is this a 10 litre kit or 15 litre?

I,m sure its going to be fine i am just curious is all.( just like George the monkey) :)

Folks making wine at a Ferment on Premises often do not really remember the name of the priduct. Plus RJS does a poor job of keeping their web-site up-to-date.

There are three Malbecs listed at the RJS web-site. Only the Cellar Classic Winery Series has grape skins.

The Grand Cru International line has grape skins, but there isn't a Malbec listed on the web-site for that line. I haven't been keeping up-to-date with RJS offerings (the local store doesn't seem to llike home wine makers).

Steve

The Grand Cru International line has grape skins, but there isn't a Malbec listed on the web-site for that line. I haven't been keeping up-to-date with RJS offerings (the local store doesn't seem to like home wine makers).

Steve

It seems RJ Spangnols doesn't either. I bought one of their kits today and I watched an "instruction" video on their web site. It left out all the details and was clearly suggesting that you have your local FoP shop make your wine.

Also, the "kit instructions" on the website don't even mention secondary fermentation! :<

Folks making wine at a Ferment on Premises often do not really remember the name of the priduct. Plus RJS does a poor job of keeping their web-site up-to-date.

There are three Malbecs listed at the RJS web-site. Only the Cellar Classic Winery Series has grape skins.

The Grand Cru International line has grape skins, but there isn't a Malbec listed on the web-site for that line. I haven't been keeping up-to-date with RJS offerings (the local store doesn't seem to llike home wine makers).

Steve

I found that the local RJS supplier the same way when i went in to purchase a kit the other day. It took the guy 15 minutes to figure out the price for a kit i bought and really wanted me to have them ferment it for me.The other place which has WE and Cellar Craft products( clearly labeled with a price ) is very helpful to the local home brewer and he even knows me by name after only a couple visits.

Well Dan, now you know who to patronize. But if you wander over to Terrace, visit Bob at Wine n Suds. He is an excellent RJ Spagnols retailer, and is pleased to support the home wine maker. If you do visit Bob, please say hi to him for me (steve/cpfan).

For me, there is a definite shortage of stores that actually label the prices on their kits. I find it a little annoying. Oh well, I'll keep visiting other stores, there's lots of 'em around here.

Steve

Well Dan, now you know who to patronize. But if you wander over to Terrace, visit Bob at Wine n Suds. He is an excellent RJ Spagnols retailer, and is pleased to support the home wine maker. If you do visit Bob, please say hi to him for me (steve/cpfan).

For me, there is a definite shortage of stores that actually label the prices on their kits. I find it a little annoying. Oh well, I'll keep visiting other stores, there's lots of 'em around here.

Steve

Just had my first taste of an RJS product tonight and i am so happy with it i will be forced to go back and buy a kit again. My Neighbor gave me 12 bottles of RJS Grand Cru Chilean malbec( 3 months old) i,m probably going to keep a half dozen bottles for at least another year and drink the rest young as my wine cellar is very new and i don,t have much in there. :(

i opened my last bottle of this Grand Cru Chilean Malbec last weekend at a bbq and it was a unanimous hit with the crowd.For only 85 dollars this is a great table wine if you take the time to actually let it reach its birthday!!

On a side not i also opened up my last bottle of Stags Leap Merlot from W.E. and it was even more well liked than the Malbec but at almost twice the price i would expect it to be be top notch.
I did recently go out and start another Stags Leap Merlot as well as a small lots 3 Continent Meritage as well as the Crushendo Single Vineyard Shiraz.

My cellar is at the point now that i am only going to do the higher end kits as most of the lower end kits are too thin for my personal taste.My wife on the other hand prefers the cheaper thin kits that have 6-12 months age on them.

I will be busy making all kinds of wine for the foreseeable future as everyone seems to like something different!

Dan R

Last edited:
I did an RJS Malbec with "genuwine" grape skins and it turned out wonderful. In fact, so wonderful half my stock is already gone. :(

Which malbec had skins? Thats not typically a kit that would have skins in it as its sort of likem Pinot Noir which is usually on the lighter side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back