Question about "oaking" or flavoring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a silly question but…
How about using oak chips packaged for use in a smoker oven? Maybe toast them a bit with the flame from a propane torch.
I was thinking the same thing. I have two different bags and neither of them say oak anywhere on the bag. Joe's Hickory does have a warning "This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer". What about NJ? :slp

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

How about using oak chips packaged for use in a smoker oven? Maybe toast them a bit with the flame from a propane torch.
I doubt you'll find any smoker wood that's been sanitized. Plus, you have no idea how clean any smoker wood is. I wouldn't risk it.

Generally, white oak for winemaking has been aged 1.5 to 3 years. I haven't read why fresh oak isn't used, but I'll hazard the guess that there's sap.

I purchase oak specifically processed for winemaking, and keep it tightly closed in the original packaging in a dry location where the temperature is between 58F and 76 F. I do not sanitize it.

Regarding re-use, my son took 6 oz medium toast cubes that I used for 5 months in a barrel, and added it to 5 gallons of a different wine for 3 or 4 months. Our normal dosage is 1.5 to 2 oz per 5 gallons. He got light oak flavoring from it. By my guess, since we got half the flavoring we would normally expect with 3 times the amount, that about 1/6 of the oak character was left. This is very fuzzy logic so take it with a grain of salt. In any case, if an oak product has been used for 3 months or longer, I'd not try re-using it.

Perhaps not silly at all. I did just that back in July. I bought retired Bourbon barrell wood chunks and wood chips. I just racked and removed the chips after 4.5 months of soaking. I used roughly 40 grams per 5 gallons of wine and it worked quite well. Should be able to get a better idea of how well it worked once the wine ages and develops in another 6 to 8 months at least. Nothing ventured nothing gained

I bought retired Bourbon barrell wood chunks and wood chips.
This is key, as it's actual oak used for winemaking. I didn't know this was available -- it's a good thing to look for. However, depending on how it's packaged, I might treat with K-meta before use.

EDIT: on a related note, I find it's cheaper to purchase larger packages, e.g., 1 lb oak cubes vs 3 or 4 oz packages. After taking out as much as I need, I folder the bag over several times an secure with a metal office binder clip.

FYI, binder clips are great for securing all types of plastic bags, including chips, cereal, and frozen veggies. A box of clips is cheap and they last a LONG time -- some of mine are probably 30 years old. There's not a lot that can go wrong with them.

Last edited:
This is key, as it's actual oak used for winemaking. I didn't know this was available -- it's a good thing to look for. However, depending on how it's packaged, I might treat with K-meta before use.

EDIT: on a related note, I find it's cheaper to purchase larger packages, e.g., 1 lb oak cubes vs 3 or 4 oz packages. After taking out as much as I need, I folder the bag over several times an secure with a metal office binder clip.

FYI, binder clips are great for securing all types of plastic bags, including chips, cereal, and frozen veggies. A box of clips is cheap and they last a LONG time -- some of mine are probably 30 years old. There's not a lot that can go wrong with them.
We have a drawer full of various size binder clips in the kitchen. We use them on chips, crackers, cereal and every other imaginable bag that needs to be kept closed after opening.

Ok I’m going out on a limb to make myself sound really dumb. The oak sticks seem to have a pretty wide price range even the lower end not so cheap. Are these sticks used once and discarded? Is there something special about the product? Why not go to Lowe’s and pick up an oak board and splinter off a few pieces? Ok I’m done exposing myself for now.

Yes the oak spirals are single use. It only takes 6 weeks for full extraction but you can leave them in longer, I always do. I like the flavor of the heavy toast compared to medium and light. Light us more of a nose than flavor imo.

Wine stix on the other hand take much longer to extract the flavor due the cut. They say short grain and long grain so minimum is 3 months.
You can reuse them if you clean them w a metal scrubber but for $6 I leave them in a long time and chuck em after.

What I like to do is some oak chips in the primary and oak sticks or spirals in the secondary.

Its all just to find what you like as far as taste

Back