Question about juice buckets and frozen must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibb

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've found a local supplier who can get juice buckets, grapes, and frozen must.

I intend to get some juice buckets this fall and while grapes are not planned I'm considering frozen must as well. The cost of these are expensive and I'm considering blending the juice bucket and frozen must. That would give more body to the red wines due to the must and the juice would keep the cost per bottle within reason.

Is this a good idea? Should I just get a grape pack from MM or use lite instead of messing with the must?

Any advice?

So I've found a local supplier who can get juice buckets, grapes, and frozen must.

I intend to get some juice buckets this fall and while grapes are not planned I'm considering frozen must as well. The cost of these are expensive and I'm considering blending the juice bucket and frozen must. That would give more body to the red wines due to the must and the juice would keep the cost per bottle within reason.

Is this a good idea? Should I just get a grape pack from MM or use lite instead of messing with the must?

Any advice?

Cibb - I'm planning a juice bucket and grapes this fall. Why not just get two lugs of grapes and put them in with your juice?

Cibb - I'm planning a juice bucket and grapes this fall. Why not just get two lugs of grapes and put them in with your juice?

I'm considering that but destemming , crushing, and pressing is a lot. For a small amount to give body but I'm trying to avoid too much time investment. Work and family are keeping me far busier this year than most.

I would do all grapes or if you can't do that a bucket and a a couple lugs add some Lallzyme. Crushing and destemming by hand won't take that long two lugs. I used a milk crate over a bucket and pushed and rubbed the grapes into it till all you have left is the stems. For pressing take your must and put it into a 5 gallon paint bag and just squeeze by hand.

If your source for grapes offers crushing and destemming, it's well worth it.

Unfortunately not.

That's why I considered the frozen must. It's expensive compared to the buckets but I thought it would add to the juice just like the grape skin packs to kits.

Back