Question About Corking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO not good. Also, it may not seal good. Cork taint will happen. BUT, it's rare. I have bottled well over 5,000 bottles and still not had cork taint.

Before inserting the cork into the bottle? I would fear the wax flaking off into the wine.. If your worried about bacteria in the cork you could just boil or soak the corks in your sanitizing solution...

good to know, I was told to do that by the person who introduced me to wine making to kill of any bacteria and soften it for easier insertion (he didnt own a corker and did it by hand)... whats the negative effects of boiling? is soaking it in a sanitizing solution ok though?

boiling will make the cork start to fall apart. Best to do what Wade does .. make a corkadore. that is add some strong meta to a bowl and add corks around it and seal. The fumes will sanitize the corks.

You can sanitize your corks but there still may be bacteria inside the cork that may make way to the wine. It's rare but can occur however if you bottle correctly and use k meta no worries.

Some like real cork, I prefer synthetic corks.
Skip the wax, at least in the wine cellar.

Thanks for all the great info...Im slowly learning that I should ignore everything my friend "taught" me

boiling will make the cork start to fall apart. Best to do what Wade does .. make a corkadore. that is add some strong meta to a bowl and add corks around it and seal. The fumes will sanitize the corks.

This is what Tom is talkig about. It is better to use a glass bottle though instead of plastic for the k-meta. As you can see its a good place also to store your hoses or other small things you want to keep sanitized. Warning...caution removing lid to keep your nose away from vapors when opening.
Cork-i-dor01.jpg
Cork-i-dor.jpg

Thanks for showing pics of this method of storing corks and sanitized equipment! I really mean to build one of these soon! Where is the best and least inexpensive site to find K-Meta?

All net places about the same. Look at getting a POUND. It will be worth it.

Back