question about chaptilization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I processed some peaches in the fall and put them in the freezer, and then I set them out to thaw two days ago. They are thawed ready to be put in a bucket and start fermenting today. Problem is, chaptilization has been a thorn in my side. I've heard different quantities per volume to raise the SG/Brix/ABV. But the real problem is that I really have no idea what the volume is until I remove the fruit in a week. Chaptilization is doable then, but more math, and I'm paranoid that these peaches might be below 1.030 SG to begin with and need to get them up.

Any advice?

my recommendation is to look through several online recipes and see which come closest to what you wish to achieve...do a small batch ...or better yet do several small batches each w different lbs of sugar....see where it takes you and then you will have your own standard through your own history

i dont have my recipe here Not that i would fully share it :) but i can tell you that in my lasy 96 gallon batch it reduced down to about 59 gallons when all was aid and done...but all peaches are different..mine had skins yours may not...life is an adventure....

If the peaches are mashed up and exposed to pectic enzyme first, the SG you measure will be "pretty darn close"

I usually lift the bag out at this point and adjust volume. I go a bit over so that I have enough for a top-up bottle on the side later.

In larger batches, adjusting the volume to the final desired amount prior to adding sugar usually nets the desired amount of over volume. This is done before sticking the bag back in.

Bob, I have heard that Pectic affects yeast viablity..have you heard this? It would seem to be that one would have to avoid using pectic until after primary...

AL - PE goes in PRIOR to primary for most all fruit wines. I think it goes the other way - yeast/fermentation interferes with PE.

The standard delay is 12 hours prior to pitching yeast. Longer doesn't hurt within reason.

Back