Question about bottleing dates

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

Reaction score
When is a wine a year old? Does it gain its year from the date you first started making it or is it a year old from the date you actually put it in the bottle?

The aging process starts once the fermentation is complete so I suppose that's what you would go by. Personally, I use the date (month) the wine was started since I know how long it takes to ferment, at least within a few days. It's a personal thing so put whatever you like on it (date on bottle).

Generally I put the year when the wine is made on the bottle.
And generally for me that is also the year it is bottled.

Nowadays I have most of the time about 20 carboys fermenting or clearing. So as I am in constant need of carboys I never age in the carboy.

Luc

Generally I put the year when the wine is made on the bottle.
And generally for me that is also the year it is bottled.

Nowadays I have most of the time about 20 carboys fermenting or clearing. So as I am in constant need of carboys I never age in the carboy.

Luc

You can't possibly drink that much wine unless you're a complete sot! Are you selling it or giving it away?

Selling is against the law over here, so I am definately not selling any.

Most carboys are the 5 liter versions, so they will only gain about 7 bottles. I generally think that is to small for winemaking, but I use these for experiments.

Then when a wine turns out good I make 30 liter batches.

Generally I drink 1 glas of wine each evening, so does my girlfriend.
We do have a busy social live and friends coming over often. That is when my stock pile vanishes :D

And there is of course my cellar with about 200 bottles varying in age from 1 to 5 years.

Luc

When I see the word "carboy" I instantly visualize 3gals or more since that is what I deal with. I currently have 2-6gal, 5-5gal and 2-3gal carboys and only one is in use presently.

I was referring to my current status.

When doing apples or plums in quantities like 100 kilo it looks like this:

Foto-OMHG6ZKT-D.jpg

and this:

Foto-7KR6CY67-D.jpg

I guess this demonstrates why we call it a LIVING-ROOM :p

That is about 230 liter (60 gallon or so) of all kinds of varieties standing there
in primaries and secondaries.

Luc

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back