Question About Adding Campden..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xdriver

Reaction score
I know I should of used campden when I made this Welches Concentrate in the beginning and waited 24hrs. to pitch yeast but I completely forgot..

We started it 23-Oct. SG levels was @ 1.106 and on the 27th (4 days later) Sg levels was @ 1.008 then we racked into seconday and installed an airlock.. We waited (10 days) till 06-Nov., degasssed, and topped off with the same concentrate..

I added Potassium Sorbate but I forgot to add the crushed campden agian.. It's been 5 days now and was wondering when or if I can add the campden sometime before bottling.??

I have filtered water system thats just like bottled water that I use but I have a water softener too.. My first kit wine turned out Awesome.. I also boiled the water then stirred in sugar removed heat and added frozen concentrate, chemistry, and water that brought temps down to 95 degrees F... I waited 12 hrs., temps was @ 72 degrees and pitched the yeast..

Last edited:
You can add the campden now. In the future softewned water may cause problems and boiling it makes it even worse as you remove the oxygen out of it and the softener removes lots of minerals. If you keep doing it this way you will want to aerate the water very well and use plenty of nutrient and energizer to replace what you are taking out. With concentrate wines you really dont need the sulfite up front but always remeber to add sulfites before sorbate or you could end up with malo lactic fermentation and a nasty gereanium smelling wine.

Thank you.. I used nutrient but no energizer and the fermenting part of it was strong.. Yeast was very happy..

Questions:

You said never add sulfites before sorbates.. I've already added the p-sorbate so adding campden wouldn't be a good idea. Right.?

Do I really need to add campden with this 1 gallon batch if it turns out good and I drink up fast..?

Is it true that p-sorbate just kill the yeast cell so no future refermention happens..?

Sorbate doesn't kill yeast, it just prevents them from growing and dividing (just as good, right?) Technically it's considered a fungistat, not a fungicide.

AFAIK, you can add SO2 before/after sorbate with no I'll effects.

def add the sulfite now.

you just don't want to add sorbate and not sulfite. Use them in conjunction to get all the benefits and prevent that 'geranium' flavor/smell.

Thank you.. Does everybody agree that when I get home tonight, add the campden..???

Please read my 1st post before you answer.. Thx..

Without adding sulfites to your wine it can start fermeting agin due to malo lactic fermentation which Sorbate will not stop, only sulfite or Lysozyme will hinder that. If a malo lactic fermentation starts up in the presence of sorbate it will cause a geranium smell and taste in your wine which you will not be able to get rid of.

I always add campden/meta with the sorbate.. as mentioned above.. once the geranium taint is on the wine.. there's no way to remove it.

Allie

I have some apple wine going now for about 2 months that I forgot to add the campden tabs to.

Can/should I add them now?

Latest posts

Back