question about a wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halifaxwino

new wine enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there i just started a batch of Heritage Estates, Grand cru or gru. Merlot. it came with oak chips in the kit, i have never done one with oak chips, the instructions do not state when to take out the chips. It says primary for 14 days then siphon to secondary carboy. should i take the oak chips out then?

YES. If they are in a tea bag (Grand Cru). If they are loose, they will just sit on the bottom when you siphon to a carboy.

Now for the tough question. Spagnols 4-week instrutions are for three products...Heritage Estates, Grand Cru, and Vino del Vida. Which one are you making?

Steve

Yeah, the oak chips will be taken out then since by that time they'll be mostly settled on the bottom mixed with the lees that you're racking the wine off of, and in any case floaters will end up on the lees as you finish racking.

2 weeks sounds like a long time in the primary... (just saying, not suggesting you shouldn't follow the kit's directions). After that amount of time, your SG should be below 1 and the chips will have imparted all their flavour to the wine anyway.

If you find it's not enough oak for your taste, I'd suggest using chunks, beans, or cubes later after you rack your secondary for the second time. These bigger oak pieces impart their flavour to the wine more slowly, over a period of many weeks and even months. This way you can't put too much in. Otherwise an overdose of very fine oak chips can ruin a finished wine over night. Just taste a bit every week or two and rack off the oak when it's to your liking.

BTW, how is the weather on the South Shore? I used to hang around Mahone Bay quite a bit. I was born and raised in the Valley.

YES. If they are in a tea bag (Grand Cru). If they are loose, they will just sit on the bottom when you siphon to a carboy.

Now for the tough question. Spagnols 4-week instrutions are for three products...Heritage Estates, Grand Cru, and Vino del Vida. Which one are you making?

Steve

Hi steve,

Well that was a difficult question haha because the instructions have all three names on it, but on the box the main is Grand Cru. And yes they are in a tea bag. do you think two weeks in the primary is to long? i always thought a week at a good temp like 72-74. Oh and if it helps you just incase you know what product im making it won the Bronze in 2008 for Winemaker, International Amateur Wine Competition (Merlot) thanks again steve

Yeah, the oak chips will be taken out then since by that time they'll be mostly settled on the bottom mixed with the lees that you're racking the wine off of, and in any case floaters will end up on the lees as you finish racking.

2 weeks sounds like a long time in the primary... (just saying, not suggesting you shouldn't follow the kit's directions). After that amount of time, your SG should be below 1 and the chips will have imparted all their flavour to the wine anyway.

If you find it's not enough oak for your taste, I'd suggest using chunks, beans, or cubes later after you rack your secondary for the second time. These bigger oak pieces impart their flavour to the wine more slowly, over a period of many weeks and even months. This way you can't put too much in. Otherwise an overdose of very fine oak chips can ruin a finished wine over night. Just taste a bit every week or two and rack off the oak when it's to your liking.

BTW, how is the weather on the South Shore? I used to hang around Mahone Bay quite a bit. I was born and raised in the Valley.

Thanks for the advice. i also thought 2 weeks in ther primary is long, but what do i know haha.

The weather is fairly mild about 2 - 5 degrees Celsius, we might have the storm that is effecting you this Thursday 20-35cm of snow or rain hoping rain. but compared to where i moved out from this is summer haha im originally from Calgary moved to Mahone Bay in August. have visited Annapolis royal, it really is a beautiful province. lots to do in the summer extremely slow in the winter. just have to get used to small town life i guess haha

Thanks for the response skyhawk

Last edited:
Dang halifaxwino, Mahone Bay is like a paradise. I'm very jealous of you. I wish they had some form of employment there for me. At least here in west Ottawa we don't have tourists! Err... for good reason obviously. Hey, at least I have my wine! That sounds so bad... LOL

Ha ha, Nope it sounds about right to me. the tourists are annoying sometimes but i guess thats what keeps this town on its feet. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back