quandry...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirs

just an oldman
Reaction score
I got a batch of blackberry going... I want to use the slurry to start something else but not sure what would be a good mixture.... any ideas???
I'm thinking to use some type of store bought juice so I don't have to use store bought yeast....

If you had some elderberries laying around ... bb and elderberry are VERY good together.

My favorite grocery store juice wines is Welch's Black Cherry Concord. Add tannins if you have them, but not necessary. This stuff is yummy and can take a pretty stiff SG - meaning higher than the 1085 most use for fruits. 1095 is perfect for my taste.

If you're interested I'll look up the details I did last time for you

Sir, I use same slurry for everything and when wine is done that little bit is slurry has no real effect on flavor. I have used a slurry from a Cab Sauv in a Riesling and noticed no color or flavor change

That depends on the slurry. In skeeter pee... it definitely has an effect on flavor and color. If your cab added no color to your riesling... I would wonder what kind of cab you had!!

Debbie

Do a concord blend, if you don't have any concord grapes you can buy welch's concord concentrate.

That depends on the slurry. In skeeter pee... it definitely has an effect on flavor and color. If your cab added no color to your riesling... I would wonder what kind of cab you had!!

Debbie

cab?? riesling??? hadn't done either

Sirs, If it aint too late, I would have to side with wade. I made a batch of blueberry Pomagranite in the past from juice and it was really good

What about the obvious SP.... Summer is comming'! But raspberry is good. And Blue-pom sounds awesome.... :)

well I guess I could try to do one of the juices and use the blackberry as a starter slurry

I thought I'd asked maybe I didn't can't find it but wonder what blackberry would be like with chocolate?? Gwen found some that has pepper in it and it is different but really good

Joshua , my son who is stationed at MCAS Beaufort, has been picking me black berries and has been freezing them for me. He will be bringing them home the end of May. I see a Blackberry-Elderberry Blend in my future. I heard the 2 blend well.

I've got a bunch of elderberry but not sure I wanna mix the 2

Debbie
How much of the slurry are you using. I use about 1/2 cup

I've got a bunch of elderberry but not sure I wanna mix the 2

It's a VERY good mix. Like others have said, there won't be THAT much blackberry that comes through in the end. Enough to add a bit of desirable complexity - certainly not 'in your face' though.

I think if you do want the blackberry to come through then you would have to make an F-pac. As for the blue berry/pom i have a batch to bottle and tastes smells amazing. Maybe ill save a few bottles to blend with my blackberry. Ive only ever used slurries for skeeter pee. Ive also never blended any batches either so im sure i will experiment here in the future.

as far as how much I'll use not sure yet,I may use all thats left.May very well end up doing a skeeter with it still up for grabs as the blackberry is still boiling away I'm getting about 2 or 3 inches of foam on top it's even coming thru the cap lol

Latest posts

Back