Q's about clearing and stabilizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LS1crazy01

Junior
Reaction score
Ok I am alittle confused as to what order I do this in. I am thinking of using my KC packets I purchased first and let it clear for a couple weeks and then I have some potassium sorbate and metabisulfite that I want to add to stabilize it after it clears. Am i going in the right direction??? I never worked with any of these chemicals before and dont wanna mess anything up. I have 30 gallons of merlot,5 gallons of zinfandel and also 5 gallons of muscato. I purchased it as juice. By the way my Merlot consists of about 80% merlot and 20% pinot noir. The only one im looking to sweeten is the muscato possibly depending on how it tastes at the time. Thanks in advance!

LS1, you're going to want to stabilize your wine first, then go to the clearing stage. I would think if a wine is not 100% fully fermented you won't be able to clear it as the fermentation process will cloud things up. One your wine has finished fermenting, or it's at a point where you want to stop fermentation, stabilize the wine. You can then backsweeten to your preference,then I would then wait a week or so to make sure no renewed fermentation starts, then move on the the clearing stage...

It should be done fermenting by now. I started it on sept. 26 08. Racked it the first time december 7th. So "if its done fermenting" then stabilize first and then clear it is what your saying.

you should check your sg a few days in a row to make sure your wine is stable and not fermenting very slowly still, if stable then you want to add the meta to protect your wine form 02 and to stop a malolactic fermentation from starting. Then you will want to add your sorbate to prevent any renewed fermentation and then degas so that your wine will clear. Then you want to add your fining agent. At this point it is best to tilt your carboy until your wine is clear and lees compact. At that point you can gently tilt your carboy the opposite and rack off the shallow end to get more wine and clearer wine.

Latest posts

Back