Pvc tube

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took a 4 inch PVC tube 36 in. long with a cap on the end.

I have drilled 1/8 holes every inch up from the bottom for a foot and all the way around every inch. Maybe 200 holes.

My goal is to push the tube into the must in the fermentation tub, put our pump hose in the tube and suck out the wine that comes through the holes into a SS holding tank. Process the rest of the must through our bladder press.

Not sure if this will work If anyone has tried it any pointers would be appreciated

I have drilled 1/8 holes every inch up from the bottom for a foot and all the way around every inch. Maybe 200 holes.

My goal is to push the tube into the must in the fermentation tub, put our pump hose in the tube and suck out the wine that comes through the holes into a SS holding tank. Process the rest of the must through our bladder press.

Not sure if this will work If anyone has tried it any pointers would be appreciated

Yup, here's the on that I made:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=648761&highlight=gajillion#post648761

I don't use the mesh bag, but I do rotate the tube in the must to keep the holes clear and the juice flowing.

I have the same thing. IIRC, the holes are 3/32. It really makes pressing go quickly.

I use a bucket press so I used the bucket with holes in it as my "pvc tube" in a similar fashion. The one time I didn't do it, the press took twice as long! It was a life saver for me.

-Josh

I still refer to that piece of equipment using your terminology, "The Gajillion Hole Tube".........................

I can't take credit for that. @JohnT 's instructions when he described it specifically called for a 'gajilion'. I was just following along. ;) Perhaps we should officially name this miracle device the GHT.

Yup, here's the on that I made:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=648761&highlight=gajillion#post648761

I don't use the mesh bag, but I do rotate the tube in the must to keep the holes clear and the juice flowing.

John, yours is the most gajillion of any I have seen, AND it looks very neat. Did you mark and hand drill those? Or did you have some other magic up your sleeve?

attachment.php

John, yours is the most gajillion of any I have seen, AND it looks very neat. Did you mark and hand drill those? Or did you have some other magic up your sleeve?

attachment.php

A little trick.... cut a 4” wide sliver of perforated vinyl soffit, screwed it to the pipe, then used the holes as guides to drill the holes in the pipe. Moved it around the pipe in 4” progression til it was all drilled out. Just a tad anal.....Came out nice and uniform though.

A little trick.... cut a 4” wide sliver of perforated vinyl soffit, screwed it to the pipe, then used the holes as guides to drill the holes in the pipe. Moved it around the pipe in 4” progression til it was all drilled out. Just a tad anal.....Came out nice and uniform though.

Patience is definitely a virtue. I think you can predict the sequence of events here.
IMG_7979.jpg. Ironic part: I didn't even use it and just put everything through the press!

I use the same set up just smaller pipe lots of holes works great no more clogs. :h

I have a 7 gal (pretty sure) a minute pump this should keep up with it?

I’m not sure that mine will allow that much flow without running dry and sucking air. Depending on AF vessel size, the first few carboys flow through really nice, clear, clean free run. As the level of the liquid drops in the vat, there are fewer holes to seep through, the opposite is true when you start. The cap also starts to drop down to the bottom and impedes the flow a bit. YMMV

I can't take credit for that. @JohnT 's instructions when he described it specifically called for a 'gajilion'. I was just following along. ;) Perhaps we should officially name this miracle device the GHT.

WOW!

After 30 years of winemaking, I finally made a contribution! :)

I have the same GHT that my father-in-law made up for me in 1995. I was thinking of making a new one. This time, however, I think that I will try making 1/8" slits instead of drilling holes. My thinking is that this will provide more flow for less effort. Call it a GST (gajillion slit tube).. :)

Awesome idea but theres no way id have the patients to drill a gazillion holes like you guys, im gonna go get a piece of perforated stainless steel, roll it, weld it with a cap on the bottom, and polish it.

0793B1F4-82CB-4AAA-B56B-AE99B33864AC.jpg

Latest posts

Back