Pvc tube

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you buy a 20" pleated water filter cartridge, maybe $18, and cut the ends off, slide off the filter media, and you'll have a polypropylene tube with rectangular holes. The one below came from a 10" cartridge. My vat and brutes can be drained without any trouble, even with full skin red fermentations.

Strainer[1].jpg

I also wanted to repost this from @ibglowin . It was During a similar conversation where I asked how to properly separate skins for transfer. I started to get the feeling that I "needed" one of these GHT's. His post definitely helped me at the time giving advice from a different perspective.

I am a firm believer in the KISS method and I just don't see where you need this for any reason. I use a 2 gallon bucket (food grade Midwest Supplies or similar). Scoop out a gallon or so of the cap out of a 20G Brute which has 10G of must, and then dump it in a gallon at a time right into the top of the press. The press has no paint strainer bag, nothing but wooden slats. Scoop a gallon, dump, rinse, repeat until you can pick up the Brute by hand and then dump the rest into the Press. Let it drain into the catch pan and then into your waiting bucket. I use a 6 gallon (food grade) bucket that a Mosti Mondial AJ kit came in with a nice snap-on lid. I get almost 6 gallons of free run. Then a gallon of press run that goes into separate gallon glass jug.

If a few skins or a few seeds get through the slats, no worries. This is step one in the clearing process. Those will float to the top and you can scoop them out in the next day easily with a spoon or similar. Once the 6 gallon bucket is full I use a racking cane to transfer that into a carboy via gravity feed. Sometimes the cane can get plugged with skins but if it does pull it out whack it against the side to clean and restart the flow.

I can do an entire press and transfer from Brute to carboy in 30-40 mins all by myself. I use the Harbor Freight dollies to move the Brutes and full carboys around from the winery to the outside patio and then back into the winery.

This simple set up works quite well for me. YMMV

Although I don't YET have a press I agree this has got to be the most painless method.

I agree, keep it simple, glowin has a good method, no argument with that, but the thread was about a pvc tube so I added my comment. No need to install in the bottom of the vat like I did. I have spent filter cartridges that would be thrown out otherwise, so I did some experimenting, It's not for everyone, but it doesn't get much easier than opening a valve and letting it drain.

I kinda loved that water filter idea. But then again I really love seeing all the different DIY‘s you guys come up with. I read about a guy who used 1/8” sheets of HDPE plastic with holes drilled for the walls of his diy destemmer. (Another option to the pvc) Part of a book published that actually included the label laser built by Norcal and all other types of DIY equipment
I ended up bucketing my entire batch through the press. But was a rented bladder press with a thick canvas strainer bag within. Took FOREVER to free run. with enzymes added skins were almost paste.
Ya live ya learn.
Fred, I feel like guys like us won’t find our comfortable Routine ways for a few years. With a lot of trial and error along the way. But it’s a fun ride taking in knowledge from all over plus from this forum already gives us more than a leg up.
—that destemmer is a pdf listed under “bonus projects. Pretty incredible. http://www.homebuiltwinery.com/

Last edited:
Fred, I feel like guys like us won’t find our comfortable Routine ways for a few years. With a lot of trial and error along the way. But it’s a fun ride taking in knowledge from all over plus from this forum already gives us more than a leg up.
—that destemmer is a pdf listed under “bonus projects. Pretty incredible. http://www.homebuiltwinery.com/[/QUOTE]

Neat site, I can just imagine the manhours in building the crusher/destemmer. Have all the tools except for the lathe. Definately don't have the time.

I've got a little confession here. This season I used my pvc tube to vacuum the wine before pressing. The wine flow into the tube couldn't keep up with the AIO. So, I put the pvc tube aside and just used a pitcher to scoop skins and juice out of the fermenter. Then, I allowed the free flow to run before pressing the rest.

I may just keep doing it this way. It was easier and I'll have less to clean up next time. Since I don't separate free run and pressed wine, simpler is better I think.

I've got a little confession here. This season I used my pvc tube to vacuum the wine before pressing. The wine flow into the tube couldn't keep up with the AIO. So, I put the pvc tube aside and just used a pitcher to scoop skins and juice out of the fermenter. Then, I allowed the free flow to run before pressing the rest.

For your penance say 3 Hail Mary's and 1 Lords Prayer.

I may just keep doing it this way. It was easier and I'll have less to clean up next time. Since I don't separate free run and pressed wine, simpler is better I think.

I can't imagine many of us separate the free run from the pressed. Never really did a ratio but bet a good bit of wine comes off the press.

I agree, keep it simple, glowin has a good method, no argument with that, but the thread was about a pvc tube so I added my comment. No need to install in the bottom of the vat like I did. I have spent filter cartridges that would be thrown out otherwise, so I did some experimenting, It's not for everyone, but it doesn't get much easier than opening a valve and letting it drain.

Having a little trouble understanding your pic. Can't figure out where the valve would be. Might just be me.

I can't imagine many of us separate the free run from the pressed. Never really did a ratio but bet a good bit of wine comes off the press.

For red wine, which is macerated, less wine comes off the press than you might think. out of a 600 liter primary, I expect to get less than 75 liters of pressed wine.

I guess it all depends on how much you are doing. For me, scooping out free run and skins would be WAY too much work.

For red wine, which is macerated, less wine comes off the press than you might think. out of a 600 liter primary, I expect to get less than 75 liters of pressed wine.

I guess it all depends on how much you are doing. For me, scooping out free run and skins would be WAY too much work.

Last year I yielded about 7 gallons. This year, about 26 gallons. So, not much more work (probably no more when you consider the work involved with using the pvc tube - clearing the strainer and cleaning up afterwards).

When you get your tube right, that won’t be the case, it’ll keep up with no problem. You either need bigger holes, or mor holes to move the wine into the tube. Mine keeps up with my vacuum pump, which moves even more quickly. You do need to slow down as you approach the end of the the free run, as the wine level decreases. You can also try turning your tube as you pump, it’ll liberate small particles from your holes, allowing more wine to flow into the tube.

Separating free run and press is the winemakers decision, fwiw, I separated mine this past fall, and the difference is surprising.

The valve was installed in the original pic, but it wasn't shown as it is located on the outside of the brute (blue handle). The intent of the original pic was to just show what the tube looked like, not necessarily the installation.

I racked 2 batches on skins last weekend and did not have great success. I have a 2.5" diameter SS tube in which I drilled numerous 1/8" holes, more near the bottom, not so many up top. I wrapped it in a mesh straining bag cut to fit. It worked great until about 2 inches below the level in the picture (both batches). At that point the flow into the tube could not keep up with the siphon and I lost suction. I ended up dumping the remainder through another straining bag. I was happy that the wine inside the tube was clean and free of debris, but it was still a messy job getting all the good wine out of the fermenter. It was better than my last attempt without the tube, but I think I need to find a way to remove a significant portion of the skins prior to racking or drill another 100 or so holes near the bottom of the tube.

On the bright side I reused the leftover skins (Zin & Cab Sauv) and juice to start a new experimental batch (along with a couple LBs of raspberries, Welches, etc.) and the BM4x4 was happy to take off again. Should be making another racking attempt this weekend. I hope the recent experience makes this racking a bit more successful.

Attachments

• IMG_20171216_113539435 (576x1024).jpg
    IMG_20171216_113539435 (576x1024).jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 50
The mesh appears to be really tight , I had to purchase a roll of it and sew it together myself, because they did not sell anything like I was looking for , that would meet my needs.

It really is a fine line of failure and success - it just takes alot of money and time -

Who knew that I would come up with a adapter to transfer into plastic carboys ?
Time and persistence -

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back