Putting Labels On Straight

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the seam method. I also spray sanitizer or windex on the bottle, which allows me to position the label on the bottle, then wipe the label with a washcloth which presses the liquid out from under the label.

If you use the paper and milk labeling method this works about the same way.

I use the eyeball method. I find that once the bottle is empty you don't care what the label looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Same here, but I set a chunk 2x4 on its side, perpendicular to the bottle to gauge the height of the label. That 1 3/4 inches off the bottom seems to work pretty well. If I get the bottle to lean against it straight, it also helps me eyeball the "lean" of the label by trying to keep the bottom of the label parallel to the 2x4.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
My wife and I just eyeball the labels and laugh and giggle, when we get them on crooked or with bubbles in them. To me, it is part of the charm of homemade wine. That is, when we bother to put labels on them. Some just get a yard sale sticky, with xyz, written on them. Oh well, we are lazy, I guess.
lmao when I put a label on crooked I get a remark "you were testing this as you were putting on labels?"

Rocket man where have you been? What are you doing now a days?

Besides putting an addition on my house everybody and there brother has been wanting cabinets made. Not complaining though, I'll take the work when I can get it. I've been working 7 days a week anywhere from 10 to 14 hours a day. I lurk around here every once in a while to see what everyone has been up to but I guess I haven't posted too much. I even have 2 kits sitting in my wine room that I haven't started yet.

Listen up to NoSnob's ever fail method of label application.

Set bottle on table, slump down in chair to get label roughly at eye level, hold label just in front of bottle until it accidentally touches
Peel off & try again moving label higher then lower - move top of label to left then to right.
Affix, peel off and try again.
Affix, peel off and try again. Move label up & down left & right etc.
Affix again. Give up and go to the next one.
slap.gif

Place all crooked label bottles together.

I label all bottles I make, not just the ones I give away. Since I usually get several crooked labels in each batch, I just use them for my taster bottles and don't bother to place seals on them. Then I can easily spot them in my wine cabinet and use them first.

NS

If it really matters to you to put them on straight, just follow the seam in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back