Putting Labels On Straight

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we figured it out. The avatar has EVERYTHING to do with label application. Sorry folks, if your avatar lacks perfect angles, you're doomed. :d

Yeah right Rocket you're problem still a spring chicken that ate a lot of carrots also. Too many old farts on here like myself that would have to squint pretty hard too find those fine lines LOL.

I wish I still were a spring chicken. I forgot to mention I have to put on my reading glasses before I can see the lines:)

Last night my wife and I stopped in at a Hallmark store and I saw what they call "props". They are the plastic things that hold or prop up picture frames, candy, books etc. It's basically a wide letter "J". I bought one for a buck, added a piece of wood (1" x 2" by length of a bottle) via 2 screws and walah, a label puttie thingie on er.

I place the bottle in, place the label against the edge and press the label on. I can also place the label in first at the corner of the plastic, add the bottle and spin it. The label attaches.

I can align up the bottle at the end of the board so each label is consistantly placed.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I taped a piece of green painters tape across the bottles, then lined up the edge of the label with the tape. The tape is easier to re-position then a wet label.
I got straight labels, but I admit it's more work.

Putting labels on straight is only a problem if you want it to be. Just slap them on crooked and tell everyone that you planned it that way. Of course that suggestion is only for you who have a problem getting them straight. Mine are always perfect. :dg :b :D

Maybe I should make "Crooked Label Wine" and I'd have no problem. Lurker, if I ever get a bottle of wine from you it better be crooked!

It's okay everyone, when I patent my new putting labels on straight device, photos further up this post, and become rich I'll....................................................................still talk to you. I'll just have my secretary type for me.

Slap the label on and be close and no one will notice or care. What they will notice is a piece of masking tape on the bottle with the name of the wine on it! Some people have toooooo much time on their hands. Right DJ? LOL

You did a great job with that "jig". I was going to suggest something similar that I did; I attached a T-square (you could use a carpenters square as well) to a piece of wood. Press the bottle up to the bottom and side to make it square, use the ruler to make the height consistent, and start the edge of the label on the ruler for perfect labels every time.

You also mentioned the other suggestion I had (which I just wanted to repeat for others who may prefer it), just design a crooked label. It wouldn't work with a serious or classic design, but it certainly would for something more whimsical.

Today when I was at the winery, the owner was giving me a tour and he showed me the label applier they fabricated. It was relatively simple design. I'll have to see what I can do about getting a picture of it. No promises. It was basically 2 1 1/4 dowles with bicylce inner tube on them that the bottle rolled on and above it was a piece of flexible material with a ruler on it that applied presure to the label whiel the ruler was used to set the height of the label. Ingenious design.

labels

If you get the bottle in the right light you'll see there is a vertical seam. put the edge of your label along that seam. Sometimes that helps keep it straight.

I use a mitre box. Using my knuckles as an index, I slide the bottle down below the box to my second knuckle. (different for different types of bottles)
Then I put on the label, so that the bottom of the label is even with the bottom of the box. I hardly ever have a crooked one this way.

Labels

I have developed a rather simplified way to put on labels. I use a piece of an old 2x4 and place it low or high, depending on the bottle, in front of the bottle and then try to get it square. I'm not always sucessful, but at least the labels' height is somewhat uniform.

Bottom line, the bottles look okay, but its still too soon to tell about the wine. My first batch is just a little over a year old and I'm still waiting.

Memorial Day is just around the corner, so SEMPER FI to all former MARINES, and a salute to all the other services.

Thunderhill

I lay the bottles on their side in light good enough to see the bottle's seam. I then put the label's edge along the seam

Rocket Man tried your seam thing :) worked great and was LOT faster thanks for the idea >>>> Blueberry done Zoogie

I used to have a jig but it was accidentally destroyed. I've been using the seam method until I get around to making a new one, and it works very well. The height of the label on each bottle may be a little different and sometimes the bottles have nearly invisible seams, but still the easiest way to get it looking good in my opinion.

Actually I use the grid of the kitchen counter ceramic tile as a guide. Works well and convenient.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

1394375762012.jpg

Latest posts

Back