Put up or ? I got myself a vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve lived in a community with 20 acres of grapes, which I have been an active participant in caring for and selling the 50+ tons of grapes. It is a wonderful community. However, down deep, my wife and I are more country than country club and we purchased 4 acres 5 miles away. The property will be home for our horses and it just so happened to have 200+ vines on it; equal amounts of zin, cab sauv, Syrah.
So, instead of managing a vineyard, I will now have to care for a vineyard. This season I will consider a loss as the vines look like they were pruned like a rose bush. Another chapter in my winemaking journey.
D3AEF42C-C3EB-48F8-AD3E-440FA3E10165.jpeg

Congrats on the new purchase!

Any place for a larger temp controlled winery/cellar?
Thanks all. The aerial shot shows the 3,000 sqft barn and the open field next to is it is a sand arena, which hadn’t been used for years, as well as a big irrigation water fed pond. The winery will be in the barn, most likely real close to the entrance. I will definitely have the space to try new things.

Last edited:
Thanks all. The aerial shot shows the 3,000 sqft barn and the open field next to is it is a sand arena, which hadn’t been used for years, as well as a big irrigation water fed pond. The winery will be in the barn, most likely real close to the entrance. I will definitely have the space to try new things.
View attachment 75516
View attachment 75517

Great space, a little disappointed I haven't seen any plans for the winery yet.

I am managing about 200 vines and I am wiped out some days. But, if the vines are outside your back door it is so easy to do a little work over time.

I am probably preaching to the choir--now is a good time to get a soil test and a petiole analysis and get your vines to a good start.
I use A & L Western Agricultural Laboratories

Last edited:
@NorCal - you might consider moving the winery to the back of the building. Looking at the picture you provide and the shadows, looks like morning sun is on the back side. That’s going to be the coolest side of the building if my assumptions about the sun path are correct.
With the stalls in the back, the horses will be occupying the back of the barn. I have a feeling that to get through the move and the upcoming hot weather, the wine box is going to make the move and be the short term solution. I’ll then see if it makes more sense to build a separate room.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back