Put too much sulfite Italian juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also not sure when I should hydrate a new batch of yeast. Have used QA23 yesterday and will change to EC1118 which has a tolerance to higher SO2.

I just checked the tanks and the 42 gallon has some bubbles on the surface. Will check again in an hour and if it has increased will add Fermaid O yeast nutrient.

Any thoughts ?

jeff

Agree with @Chuck E , get the SO2 down before you try to proceed with yeast and / or nutrients. You can add nutrients once you get fermentation going.

Sulfite levels
60 tank was 190 now 172
42 tank was 181 now 171

Splash racking now. Will do again in a few hours.

Any suggestion on how long I should wait between splash rackings.

Yesterday I did two about 4 hours apart. I rack them completely into another tank and then return them to the flex tanks. Then tested SO2 this morning before racking.

Thanks
Jeff

Stirred it twice this afternoon with a drill and stirrer. Lots of agitation.

Will splash rack tonight and measure SO2 level in the morning.

Thanks
Jeff

Just catching the thread and advice is in sync with what I would do if it were my wine. Another thought too would be to get 5 gallons of each below 50 ppm (record how many splash rackings it took, so you don't have to measure subsequent batches) and inoculate with 1118 (I'd use Advante if you can get it). Build a good strong ferment in the 5 gallons, while you continue to splash 5 gallons of each at a time and step feed it into the ferment when you hit your splash #. Might be shorter path to getting these things going.

Sulfite levels
60 gal. tank Thurs - 190 ppm , Fri - 172, Sat. Am - 143
42 gal. tank Thurs - 181ppm , Fri - 171, Sat. Am - 157

Splash racking 3x’s today and Stirring 2x’s.

Sulfite levels
60 gal. tank Thurs - 190 ppm , Fri - 172, Sat. Am - 143, Sun Am - 115 ppm
42 gal. tank Thurs - 181ppm , Fri - 171, Sat. Am - 157, Sun Am - 153 ppm.

Splash racking 3x’s today and Stirring 2x’s.

Sulfite levels
60 gal. tank Thurs - 190 ppm , Fri - 172, Sat. Am - 143, Sun Am - 115 ppm, Mon AM 78 ppm added hydrated yeast this morning hope it ferments
42 gal. tank Thurs - 181ppm , Fri - 171, Sat. Am - 157, Sun Am - 153 ppm. Mon AM 98 ppm splash racked and stirred. Will splash and stir today and test tomorrow AM.

Seems a tad early to me but might be good protection just in case. You might want to have some yeast on hand for a second go in case what you put in ferments but doesn't reproduce a second generation.

Tuesday
Went to check the tanks this morning and both tanks were fermenting. The 42 gallon tank started up on its own so I added yeast nutrient and the 60 gallon of tank got a new batch of hydrated EC 1118 yeast yesterday.
The 42 gallon tank has a sulfide smell will continue stir it. Any other suggestions are welcome to clear the odor.
Jeff

Be sure to add more yeast nutrient than you might normally, just to help the yeast out, which I would think will be more stressed than normal. If after fermentation the sulfide smell is still there, Reduless is probably what you want to help clear it. If you are familar with how to test and use Copper is the thing to clear it out with. Using the smallest dose possible and bench trials. Reduless takes some of the guesswork out of that.

Both tanks are actively fermenting. Added yeast nutrient. It has almost dropped 10 Brix. When it does it will be done 1/3 and will add another dose of fermaid o. The sulfite smell is gone. The temp was moving up to 76 so I added 2 gallon jugs of frozen water to each tank. Should control temperature. Was 71 this afternoon.

Jeff

Both tanks are actively fermenting. Added yeast nutrient. It has almost dropped 10 Brix. When it does it will be done 1/3 and will add another dose of fermaid o. The sulfite smell is gone. The temp was moving up to 76 so I added 2 gallon jugs of frozen water to each tank. Should control temperature. Was 71 this afternoon.

Jeff

Good news, sounds like your persistence in helping the sulfite to dissipate was productive. Time will tell whether or not it'll have any residual effects on the taste, hopefully it comes out great for you!!!!!!

Jeff

This is fantastic news!
IMG_4127.gif

F9D080E0-4F01-4FDE-9E13-213AC68D4DE5.jpeg B573BCE7-BF28-4A20-A08B-12A20E6ACCBF.jpeg 7AC03347-5AC0-4D59-AFBA-466D268EC177.jpeg 3D0F4CCA-4E8E-482C-B91F-C6794B4DFCA2.jpeg 1B8A12F6-1C01-4E2A-B0E6-DC111DF94D04.jpeg ECE0888E-D85A-41D7-A52A-2AB07E688C9C.jpeg A164E2F4-8889-42C1-9F7F-6E436B15E7B1.jpeg Fermentation is continuing on the Verdicchio. Stalled at 10 Brix in the large tank yesterday so I fed 1 gram per 5 gal. of Fermaid O last night and this morning it was at 6.5.
Also brought home 49 lugs of Paso Robles Petit Syrah yesterday. I have 7 fermentation. Each Barrel has 21 gallons of must per container. I have bled out 21 gals for Rose 3 gallons per PF barrel and have 18 gallons of must left per fermentation barrel. The PH is 4.0 and Brix is 24 so I need to reduce PH but not Brix. Previously I had to reduce both PH and Brix and used acidulated water. This time I only need to add tartaric acid to reduce PH. Can anyone tell me what formula to use to determine how much TA to dilute in each Ferm barrel. If I am correct I only need to add TA diluted in a small amount of water and be conservative about the addition. Would like the Ph at 3.6-3.7 when finished.

Any help is appreciated.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back