Put a lid on it

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by Bird, Jan 11, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2019 #1

Bird

Bird

Bird

Junior

I just started a 4 week wine kit today. I’m a bit confused on how to cover the primary fermenter properly. Do I just put the lid on tight? Place it on loose? Or do I need to use the airlock with sulphite solution?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Jan 11, 2019 #2

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Just a Member

Lid loose is what most people do. Don't need the airlock if loose - just stuff a paper towel or something like that if you have an airlock hole.

3. Jan 11, 2019 #3

Bird

Bird

Bird

Junior

Thank you! No there is no airlock hole...that’s why I was confused lol. So just leave the lid on there loose for the whole 14 day primary fermentation period?

4. Jan 11, 2019 #4

ThreeSheetsToTheWind

ThreeSheetsToTheWind

ThreeSheetsToTheWind

I like to use the airlock with no water in it. I've never had any luck with the towel method, I always end up with wet towels and less must.

5. Jan 11, 2019 #5

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

That is what I do. Or a towel over the bucket.

6. Jan 11, 2019 #6

KAndr97

KAndr97

KAndr97

Kash A.

Fourteen days sounds pretty long to keep a wine in primary. Keep in mind that if you leave your wine on the gross lees for too long, the yeast will start eating it. You don't want that, as it can lead to some pretty nasty smells. I've never had anything finish within the timeframe that I set out for it. You wanna rack to secondary when fermentation is slowing down, usually around 1.030 or lower. However, you can't really go by SG alone. I had a banana wine that I racked when it hit 1.030 but was still fizzing away visibly. The next day, there was foam oozing out of my airlock.

During primary, I don't even mess around with a lid. I use a sanitized cloth that I pin down with clothespins. Keeps all the bugs and dust out while allowing plenty of air exchange.

7. Jan 11, 2019 #7

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

Most kit directions say you should put the wine under airlock at the start. If you are going to leave your wine in a bucket the entire 14 days, after your wine reaches about 1.010 (or something like that) you really should clamp the lid down and put an airlock in place. The wine isn't giving off enough CO2 at that point to protect your wine.