Pure DAP or Fermaid-K?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I just started my white a few days ago and is currently in the lag phase, so I was going to add nutrient. I checked, and only had a trace amount of Fermaid-K left. I went to the LHBS, and all they had was pure DAP (1 tsp per gallon). Since I already added GoFerm to it, will the pure DAP suffice or should I just order some more Fermaid-K?

I just started my white a few days ago and is currently in the lag phase, so I was going to add nutrient. I checked, and only had a trace amount of Fermaid-K left. I went to the LHBS, and all they had was pure DAP (1 tsp per gallon). Since I already added GoFerm to it, will the pure DAP suffice or should I just order some more Fermaid-K?

I'm not afraid to use DAP for my initial application of nutrients (just after lag phase), and tend to switch to Fermaid K for the second application, not wanting to risk leaving too much food in the wine once fermentation has finished. You could certainly do the same, dose with DAP now, and K in a few days when you can get your hands on some.

I'm not afraid to use DAP for my initial application of nutrients (just after lag phase), and tend to switch to Fermaid K for the second application, not wanting to risk leaving too much food in the wine once fermentation has finished. You could certainly do the same, dose with DAP now, and K in a few days when you can get your hands on some.

Thanks for that! The only thing I could really find on when to use pure DAP is on the Scott Laboratories FAQ, but they mentioned to use it only when the YANC (nitrogen) levels are below a certain amount, which I have no clue how to check.

Luckily, I measured out the F-K I had and it was an exact 3 grams. Should be getting my new packet tomorrow, just in time for the second dose!

Latest posts

Back