Purchasing midwest grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat mcgrath

Junior
Reaction score
We live in northern Illinois. I would like to try making a Cabernet Sauvignon from local grapes. Does anyone know of a vineyard in northern (or central) Illinois or a vineyard within a few of hours of Chicago?
Also, which grapes should I use for a cab?

We live in northern Illinois. I would like to try making a Cabernet Sauvignon from local grapes. Does anyone know of a vineyard in northern (or central) Illinois or a vineyard within a few of hours of Chicago?
Also, which grapes should I use for a cab?

Cabernet Sauvignon wine is made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, Cabernet Franc wine is made from Cabernet Franc grapes, Pinot Noir wine is made from Pinot Noir grapes, you get the picture.......... You’ll need to find a local vineyard producing and selling Cabernet Sauvignon grapes if that’s the wine you want to make....that I cannot help you with....maybe one of our members from your area will chime in.

You won't find a winery in Northern Illinois growing Cabernet Sauvignon, it gets to cold in the winter and stays to hot at night in the summers. You might, but I doubt it, find one that grows Cabernet Franc. I know of one in the state of Missouri that does, is the only reason I think might. You are more likely to find Norton, Chambourcin, and then cold hardy varieties like Marquette and Frontenac grapes.

I'm located in Warrenville in Northern Illinois, not far from the City. Any Vinifera variety in our area would have to be grown in a greenhouse. The most recent winter we had would have killed most Vinifera varieties. I have cold hardy varieties in my vineyard, but I will be using all of them in winemaking and won't have any to spare.

Here is one resource:

https://www.illinoiswine.com/cgi-local/classified/classifieds.cgi

Several vineyards will post what they have available here, although typically they sell by the ton. There are a few places in Wisconsin and Michigan you can go as well. The majority of the grapes will be cold hardy hybrids. Here is one as an example:

https://www.mitchell-vineyard.com/

If you're in the Chicago area there are a few places that order in a truck of Vinifera grapes from other regions, and if you get your name on the list there will be some lugs for you. Chicagoland Winemakers in Elmhurst is one such place (At least when I checked 2 years ago.)

I'm located in Warrenville in Northern Illinois, not far from the City. Any Vinifera variety in our area would have to be grown in a greenhouse. The most recent winter we had would have killed most Vinifera varieties. I have cold hardy varieties in my vineyard, but I will be using all of them in winemaking and won't have any to spare.

Here is one resource:

https://www.illinoiswine.com/cgi-local/classified/classifieds.cgi

Several vineyards will post what they have available here, although typically they sell by the ton. There are a few places in Wisconsin and Michigan you can go as well. The majority of the grapes will be cold hardy hybrids. Here is one as an example:

https://www.mitchell-vineyard.com/

If you're in the Chicago area there are a few places that order in a truck of Vinifera grapes from other regions, and if you get your name on the list there will be some lugs for you. Chicagoland Winemakers in Elmhurst is one such place (At least when I checked 2 years ago.)

You can buy vinifera from the St Joseph area in nearby Michigan. Lemon Creek winery sells grapes as well as others in the area. You'll find Pinot noir for sure along with Merlot, cab franc and cab sauv.

As others mentioned already, french hybrids are readily available and cheaper options.

You won't find a winery in Northern Illinois growing Cabernet Sauvignon, it gets to cold in the winter and stays to hot at night in the summers. You might, but I doubt it, find one that grows Cabernet Franc. I know of one in the state of Missouri that does, is the only reason I think might. You are more likely to find Norton, Chambourcin, and then cold hardy varieties like Marquette and Frontenac grapes.

I knew of one in Missouri that grew Cab Franc a while back but gave up on it due to those issues. I’d like to buy Cab Franc and Petit Verdot in Missouri if anyone knows of a source. There is a Mo winery that orders 2 vinefara each year from CA that will sell the grapes/juice if anyone is interested.

I knew of one in Missouri that grew Cab Franc a while back but gave up on it due to those issues. I’d like to buy Cab Franc and Petit Verdot in Missouri if anyone knows of a source. There is a Mo winery that orders 2 vinefara each year from CA that will sell the grapes/juice if anyone is interested.
I would be interested in contact (or any information) about getting CC grapes /juice. The only place I know of that does seems a bit overpriced to me.

Hi,
I used to live in Canada near Niagara Falls. In that area Watsons barrels sells all kinds of vinifera grapes and juice.
Check out their web page. The best part is you pay in Cdn $ big savings.
Typically a pail of crushed and destemed Cab Ssuv is $75 Cdn which is about $50 US

Latest posts

Back