Purchasing midwest grapes

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by Pat mcgrath, Jun 26, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jun 26, 2019 #1

Pat mcgrath

Pat mcgrath

Pat mcgrath

Junior

We live in northern Illinois. I would like to try making a Cabernet Sauvignon from local grapes. Does anyone know of a vineyard in northern (or central) Illinois or a vineyard within a few of hours of Chicago?
    Also, which grapes should I use for a cab?

2. Jun 26, 2019 #2

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

I think I am not understanding the intent of your question. For a Cab, you can either use Cabernet Sauvignon, or Cabernet Franc.

3. Jun 26, 2019 #3

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Cabernet Sauvignon wine is made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, Cabernet Franc wine is made from Cabernet Franc grapes, Pinot Noir wine is made from Pinot Noir grapes, you get the picture.......... You’ll need to find a local vineyard producing and selling Cabernet Sauvignon grapes if that’s the wine you want to make....that I cannot help you with....maybe one of our members from your area will chime in.

4. Jun 26, 2019 #4

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

You won't find a winery in Northern Illinois growing Cabernet Sauvignon, it gets to cold in the winter and stays to hot at night in the summers. You might, but I doubt it, find one that grows Cabernet Franc. I know of one in the state of Missouri that does, is the only reason I think might. You are more likely to find Norton, Chambourcin, and then cold hardy varieties like Marquette and Frontenac grapes.

5. Jun 26, 2019 #5

KevinL

KevinL

KevinL

I'm located in Warrenville in Northern Illinois, not far from the City. Any Vinifera variety in our area would have to be grown in a greenhouse. The most recent winter we had would have killed most Vinifera varieties. I have cold hardy varieties in my vineyard, but I will be using all of them in winemaking and won't have any to spare.

Here is one resource:

https://www.illinoiswine.com/cgi-local/classified/classifieds.cgi

Several vineyards will post what they have available here, although typically they sell by the ton. There are a few places in Wisconsin and Michigan you can go as well. The majority of the grapes will be cold hardy hybrids. Here is one as an example:

https://www.mitchell-vineyard.com/

If you're in the Chicago area there are a few places that order in a truck of Vinifera grapes from other regions, and if you get your name on the list there will be some lugs for you. Chicagoland Winemakers in Elmhurst is one such place (At least when I checked 2 years ago.)

6. Jun 26, 2019 #6

Pat mcgrath

Pat mcgrath

Pat mcgrath

Junior

I am new to making wine & I'm still learning. Now I know. Thanks.

7. Jun 26, 2019 #7

Pat mcgrath

Pat mcgrath

Pat mcgrath

Junior

8. Jun 26, 2019 #8

Pat mcgrath

Pat mcgrath

Pat mcgrath

Junior

Thanks for the info about locations. I'll give Elmhurst a call.

9. Jul 6, 2019 #9

jgmillr1

jgmillr1

jgmillr1

owner, winemaker

You can buy vinifera from the St Joseph area in nearby Michigan. Lemon Creek winery sells grapes as well as others in the area. You'll find Pinot noir for sure along with Merlot, cab franc and cab sauv.

As others mentioned already, french hybrids are readily available and cheaper options.

10. Jul 7, 2019 #10

Norton

Norton

Norton

I knew of one in Missouri that grew Cab Franc a while back but gave up on it due to those issues. I’d like to buy Cab Franc and Petit Verdot in Missouri if anyone knows of a source. There is a Mo winery that orders 2 vinefara each year from CA that will sell the grapes/juice if anyone is interested.

cmason1957 likes this.
  11. Jul 7, 2019 #11

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

I would be interested in contact (or any information) about getting CC grapes /juice. The only place I know of that does seems a bit overpriced to me.

12. Jul 8, 2019 #12

Bill McNab

Bill McNab

Bill McNab

Hi,
    I used to live in Canada near Niagara Falls. In that area Watsons barrels sells all kinds of vinifera grapes and juice.
    Check out their web page. The best part is you pay in Cdn $ big savings.
    Typically a pail of crushed and destemed Cab Ssuv is $75 Cdn which is about $50 US