purchased Must from vineyard - Ideas on how to procede needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cxwgfamily

Reaction score
I purchased some muscadine must from a local vineyard. It had been on the lees for about a week. The Sp Gr is about 1.01. It has a little sweetness left. I have squeezed the must to separate the skins. I now have juice.

I have several ideas on how to proceed but wanted to get some quick ideas. It is Red Muscadine grapes. I think the variety is Noble.

Help and advice is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

I purchased some muscadine must from a local vineyard. It had been on the lees for about a week. The Sp Gr is about 1.01. It has a little sweetness left. I have squeezed the must to separate the skins. I now have juice.

I have several ideas on how to proceed but wanted to get some quick ideas. It is Red Muscadine grapes. I think the variety is Noble.

Help and advice is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

I typically use two sources of information, one more detailed and one less so.

The Harford Vineyard instructions are fairly simple: https://harfordvineyard.com/winemaking-instructions-grape/

The MoreWine guide is more detailed: http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wredw.pdf

Best of luck!

A quick update. I added 6 lbs of sugar to the must after I pressed it and then added the usual Yeast nutrient, tannin, acid blend, and pectic enzyme. After 24 hours, I added the yeast. the fermentation took off like a bat out of "you know where." The original sp gr was 1.054, after 24 hours it had dropped to 1.032 and then after another 24 hours it was 1.016. on the fourth day of primary fermentation the sp gr was 1.006 and I racked it to a secondary the next day and the sp gr was 0.998. WOW!! I have never seen a fermentation go this fast. Is this typical?? I did not measure temperature during fermentation (my bad) but i hope it did not spike to high.
Comments???
cxwgfamily

Back