Pumps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWino

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a pump for racking my wine. I have been reading about the All In One Vacuum Pump and I have seen the Mini Jet filter pumps advertised. Can the Mini Jet be used just as a pump for transfering? Help me decide which will be best. I usually make about 80 gallons of wine per year in 5 & 6 gallon carboys.

The vacuum pump can be used to rack, degas, filter, and bottle wine.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have any questions that I can answer for you please drop me a line and I will get back to you as soon as I can .
The difference in the all in one -
It can transfer, degasses, filters and bottles.

The boun vino mini jet - filters -" leaks alot,when filtering", not designed to be used as a transfer pump -

the filters cost the same as an inline setup, but the inline filter can filter alot more wine - also you can choose what micron filter you want to purchase

steve

The difference in the all in one -
It can transfer, degasses, filters and bottles.

The boun vino mini jet - filters -" leaks alot,when filtering", not designed to be used as a transfer pump -

steve

I have the enolmatic and the Mini Jet. I will probably never go back to the mini jet for the reasons listed above. I love the set up I have now and have no regrets.

With that being said if the All IN One had been available at the time, it would have been my pump of choice and I would have saved hundreds of dollars.

I've used my Buon Vino Mini Jet as a pump once. Getting the short little output hose off the pump was a bear. After that, I attached the drain hose to the output port. It worked OK (I didn't experience the leaking described above) but the drain hose is too short to be convenient and is a non-standard size. Also, the pump lacks the power to draw with the pump on the counter and the carboy on the floor.

I'll be using my auto siphon for racking.

Steve- does the vacuum pump come with a filtration system or is that an extra? I have 1 plastic carboy. Will it work on that or only the glass ones? What would it cost for a pump and filtration sustem?
Thanks
Mr Wino

The pump doesnt come with a filtration device so that will be extra. Im not sure if he is offering as of yet though so Steve will have to answer that. Vacuum doesnt work on plastic carboys at east not to degas or rack into them but you can rack from a plastic carboy to glass as the receiving vessel is the one that gets vacuum applied to it.

Thanks Wade

Yes at this time I do not sell the filtration system, but I will give you all the links so you can purchase one yourself - for around 35 dollars which includes everything you will need including 2 filters.
This way I do not have to charge you extra -" I am not looking to make this a momopoly " and most importantly - you can choose what filtration you would like for your filter -

Yes - dido on everything mentioned about the better bottles

Thanks Steve

The pump doesnt come with a filtration device so that will be extra. Im not sure if he is offering as of yet though so Steve will have to answer that. Vacuum doesnt work on plastic carboys at east not to degas or rack into them but you can rack from a plastic carboy to glass as the receiving vessel is the one that gets vacuum applied to it.

Thanks for the info. It is probably something I will get in the near future. What type of filter do you suggest?

I will typicall use 3 micron for reds and 1.0 for whites , or you can always go down to a .35 micron which would be sterile. Atleast you have the ability to change the filtration.

steve

Thanks for the info. It is probably something I will get in the near future. What type of filter do you suggest?

How much wine can you filter with one filter? Can the filter be cleaned and stored after useing it to use it again?

How much wine can you filter with one filter? Can the filter be cleaned and stored after useing it to use it again?

Alot of us made a canister out of PVC pipe and store our whole house filters in a K-Meta solution after thoroughly rinsing them. I've run probably 60-80 gallons through my filter that I purchased from Wade. I have 1 micron and a 5 micron filter and separate canisters for each. The canisters are made from a piece of 3" PVC, a closet (toilet) flange with cap, a pipe to threaded connection and a threaded cap. I don't have a picture now, but I can take one tomorrow and post unless someone does so sooner.

I also would agree as well that they typically last around 60 gallons or so.
I personally do not keep them, due to that they are only approx 5 dollars a piece - so I will usually filter as much as I can and toss afterwards.
I do own some absolute filters (approx 80 dollars ) and those I will rinse and microwave till dry ( I know it sounds weird,but a wine expert showed me this and it really does work )

thanks steve

Alot of us made a canister out of PVC pipe and store our whole house filters in a K-Meta solution after thoroughly rinsing them. I've run probably 60-80 gallons through my filter that I purchased from Wade. I have 1 micron and a 5 micron filter and separate canisters for each. The canisters are made from a piece of 3" PVC, a closet (toilet) flange with cap, a pipe to threaded connection and a threaded cap. I don't have a picture now, but I can take one tomorrow and post unless someone does so sooner.

My filters are over a year old and did one heck of a lot more than 80 gallons.

DSCN2240.jpg

These filters are designed to filter 1000's of gallons. Just remember that your wine should already be pretty clear before even considering using a filter.

I am using a .45 and 1 micron enolmatic nominal. You sure through me for a loop on the microwave thing. I never heard of that but makes sense. My first filter I cleaned, sanitized and put it back in the bag. A month later I went back to use it and it was nearly solid black with mold. That was an expensive mistake.

Some folks freeze them and I personally don't like that idea due to ice chards and expansion. It works for them but I find just putting them in my capsule with a meta/citric solution I'm good. If you are using a true absolute filter ensure you never touch the material as the oils in your hand will compromise the absolute.

Dan, If I were using pleated or a filter that could be compromised with ice like you are saying then you are right that the freezing would be a bad idea!!!!!! The Poly units dont have a problem like that as they dont hold enough water to have that problem.

my absolute filter has double rubber gaskets - remove rubber prior to microwave - check every 1 minute or so (after running and cleaning using sulfite solution )
I have been doing it for approx 3-5 years now
I personally did not like my filters in solution as I did forget about it and over time it went bad! my fault proubly

steve

I am using a .45 and 1 micron enolmatic nominal. You sure through me for a loop on the microwave thing. I never heard of that but makes sense. My first filter I cleaned, sanitized and put it back in the bag. A month later I went back to use it and it was nearly solid black with mold. That was an expensive mistake.

Some folks freeze them and I personally don't like that idea due to ice chards and expansion. It works for them but I find just putting them in my capsule with a meta/citric solution I'm good. If you are using a true absolute filter ensure you never touch the material as the oils in your hand will compromise the absolute.

Back