Pumpkin wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked back at this thread and on 4/15/09 I posted a picture of the wine shortly before I bottled it. Now, the picture was posted on 4/15 but the wine was bottled on 3/23. As you can see, the wine was clear. I can take pictures of a 1.5 litre bottle if you wish, just let me know.

e-wine

I can't seem to find it but no worries. I will trust in the wine gods (winemakingtalk guru's?) that my wine will come clear. :D

It will clear. Some faster than others. Many factors effect the wine clearing. While it's clearing time to make something else.

saintprovogirl,

Look on the bottom of page 5 of this thread. The pumpkin is the outer two gallon jugs. Take care.

e-wine

question!

Why do so many pumpkin wine recipes call for the pumpkin flesh to be removed (usually they say to strain it) so soon after the start of fermentation?

I have a 30 gal barrel of must fermenting as we speak, drawn as close as possible to the pumpkin wine recipe on jack keller's website. It is, according to the recipe, time to strain the pumpkin flesh away, but the mixture is so pulpy and thick that I just know I'll lose a significant amount of sugar in the pressing (assuming i can even figure out how to press pumpkin slush).

For those of you that made pumpkin wine from fresh squash, when did you first press/strain your must? Am I inviting some kind of disaster if I let fermentation continue in the primary?

I didn't take sg (again, too pulpy) but the must is still very sweet to taste.

thanks for any ideas you might have.

question!

Why do so many pumpkin wine recipes call for the pumpkin flesh to be removed (usually they say to strain it) so soon after the start of fermentation?

I have a 30 gal barrel of must fermenting as we speak, drawn as close as possible to the pumpkin wine recipe on jack keller's website. It is, according to the recipe, time to strain the pumpkin flesh away, but the mixture is so pulpy and thick that I just know I'll lose a significant amount of sugar in the pressing (assuming i can even figure out how to press pumpkin slush).

For those of you that made pumpkin wine from fresh squash, when did you first press/strain your must? Am I inviting some kind of disaster if I let fermentation continue in the primary?

I didn't take sg (again, too pulpy) but the must is still very sweet to taste.

thanks for any ideas you might have.

I left mine sit on the must for about 6 weeks. I had mine in a stainer bag. When we pull it out we left it drip for about 4 hours and then squeezed the pulp that was in the bag.

ok that's reassuring :)

thanks, Julie.

Edit: that's not exactly the smiley face I was trying to send...

Last edited:
saintprovogirl,

Look on the bottom of page 5 of this thread. The pumpkin is the outer two gallon jugs. Take care.

e-wine

Wow, extremely clear! How long until they got that way? I'm actually amazed that the middle isn't the pumpkin because mine has such an orange hue.

saintprovogirl,

I started the wine around Thanksgiving last year and bottled on March 23rd of this year. Fermentation was no more than 2 months so it took about two months to clear. And it was with grated pumpkin so it could be longer for the canned pumpkin since it has a smaller particle size.

e-wine

saintprovogirl,

I started the wine around Thanksgiving last year and bottled on March 23rd of this year. Fermentation was no more than 2 months so it took about two months to clear. And it was with grated pumpkin so it could be longer for the canned pumpkin since it has a smaller particle size.

e-wine

I used grated pumpkin in mine too, and started it on 11/11/10. I was noticing yesterday that it's starting to show signs of clearing and there is a lot more residue on the bottom of the carboy. Seems to be working so I'm excited!

Pumpkin Wine made simple!

We developed a variety of pumpkin that makes a "to die for" pumpkin wine. Makes the wine right in the pumpkin shell! Also just needs brown sugar, Champagne yeast, and two heavy duty garbage bags. It's a farm wine - not sophisticated, just good! Check out our web site for more info.

I left mine sit on the must for about 6 weeks. I had mine in a stainer bag. When we pull it out we left it drip for about 4 hours and then squeezed the pulp that was in the bag.

Julie: Was this in a primary bucket and open fermentation or was in under an air lock? Did you stir it everyday? What was the deciding factor to remove the pulp?

Julie: Was this in a primary bucket and open fermentation or was in under an air lock? Did you stir it everyday? What was the deciding factor to remove the pulp?

HI WineyTexan,

Yes in a pirmary bucket that I stirred everyday and no airlock. I usually leave the fruit in the primary until the sg reaches 1.020 and remove. I squezze the bag everyday and by this time I have all that I am going to get out of that bag.

By the time the specific gravity reaches 1.020 and under most of the sugar has been consumed by the yeasts. Your fruit is starting to lose it's ability to stay together and begins to be come more of a pulp.

Many use a bag for an ease of removing the fruit, I put my fruit straight in. Several reasons. There are times I have so much fruit I'd be making a mess trying to pull it out. The loose fruit will allow a better wetting upon punching down. I believe this will allow for an easier time for the enzymes then yeast to get to all the sugar.

When my gravity passes 1.020 I use a sieve with a handle and in just a few minutes remove the fruit. My pineapple I just removed the other day looked like insulation it was all chewed up by the yeasts.

I placed the fruit into another bucket, snapped 3 of the 4 lid snaps on and turned it upside down and let the remaining juice drip back into my primary. After a few minutes it was finished, gave the primary a stir and let it finish.

Tom, all I have is KMeta powder. I am not going to buy campden tabs for 1 recipe. How much powder to use for 1 gal. recipe? I have been using 1/4 tsp for my and 5 gallon batches
Troy

I know this is way back in the thread, but anyways... I use 1/4tsp per 6g, so mix your 1/4tsp with water easily divisible by 6. I usually do 2c of water, then 1/3c per gallon for smaller batches. When I do 3g recipes, I'll do 1/2c water and just add 1/4c per carboy.

I keep the leftover in a waterbottle with the dosage written on the side.

:dg

I found I still have several bottles of pumpkin wine left and wasn't sure how long ago I made it. I searched the website and found it was nearly 9 years ago...wow, how time goes by quickly...

Anyway, reporting back about the results. This is a very nice wine, smooth and easy to drink. Is it past it's prime? Is it spectacular and something I must do again and regret not doing every year since...no. But it's solid and maybe I'll do it again someday.

I have seen recipe's that call for raisin and cinnamon sticks. Also, grinding the pumpkin versus just chopping up the pumpkin?
Is there a certain type of pumpkin that works better than other or just any old pumpkin?

Last edited:
Back