pumpkin wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunwolf

Reaction score
Ok I have to ask... while upo the road at the local farm stand, the farmer told me (after some fermenting talk) that I could have all the pumpkins I want after Oct31st... he said his father used to make batches of pumpkin /spice wine. Is He pulling my crank??????

anyone ver heard of pumpkin wine or even made it?

I think he is just trying to get rid of all his expired pumpkins....

Yep, lots of people make pumpkin wine... lots of sediment those first couple of rackings. Google it... you'll find a recipe. The BEST are the little sugar pumpkins meant for pies... but jack o lantern pumpkins work too... as does squash.

Debbie

I believe there is a recipe on here Gunwolf, I make pumpkin wine for Thanksgiving dinner, djrockinsteve has a thread on here. Let it age for two years, it is awesome and really a nice addition to a thanksgiving dinner.

Luc I have heard that wine made from pumpkins used for jack o lanterns and those used for pumpkin pies are different. I have 6 gallons a year old now made from pumpkin pie mix. It contains spices already in it. Soon I am going to rack to a 5 gallon carboy and bottle a gallons worth to try it.

Julie mentions letting it age 2 years. Anxious to see what it tastes like now. I have enough cans to do another batch now as well.

I have long thought that cooking with fruit pectin / pectin plant released too much time causing problems with cleanliness in the future. And very fine chop has the same effect as the more difficult to assess when the correct cooking time has come and gone. On the flip side of undercooking not extract enough flavor. So there is a balance to be struck is a part of art / science of brewing.

Last year I purchased a discount, non-distinct white wine kit (a chardonnay-sauv.blanc blend) and during the fermentation I put a nice, fresh pumpkin given to me by a farmer in a grain bag and let it meld together. The pumpkin meat was very aromatic and flavorful to begin with and it stayed with the concoction right up until bottling time. I also added the proper pumpkin spices to the mix. I haven't opened a bottle yet (it will be a year in November), but the color is a beautiful golden yellow and as I remember, it had a nice distinct pumpkin flavor when I originally bottled it. Will let you know when I crack one open in a couple of weeks if the flavor intensified :try or subsided :(

Anthony

Latest posts

Back