Pumpkin wine recipe please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
I have a few pumpkins due.. and feel an experiment is in order.

What does pumpkin wine taste like anyway?

Allie

Allie it does not taste like anything you have tasted before.
It is what we call an aquired taste.......

My girlfriend likes it. I don't.
Some of my friends love it, most of them don't.

I made it two years ago and made another one from a different variety pumpkins last year. This one is still in the carboy.

You can find my recipe here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/09/pompoenwijn-pumpkinwine.html

Luc

Thanks Luc,

An acquired taste huh?

I might leave that for another year and make pumpkin soup for the freezer instead

Allie

Can't say I have ever had a pumpkin wine. I have had many a Pumpkin Ale though and love it. Many spice their brew to taste like a traditional pumpkin pie. At least a here in the US pumpkin pie. Funny thing is, I do not like Pumkin Pie.

well I have never made it but a local winery made some last year with honey and spices and dang it was very good, I will give it a try this year.

My Dad used to make pumpkin wine, I was too young to drink it (Didnt start until 9 years old! :d) but he says it was good. And get this, he even made some in the pumpkin itself. Hollowed it out and added the sugar etc...can imagine all sorts of potential problems with that though! :f
I think the idea of spices and honey added souds good

Now my potato wine, its bounced back and Id say is similar to a sau blanc in smell and taste...and you all laughed at me!!! I think its gonig to a great wine!:h

Ive heard of potatoe wine too but must say it just doesnt sound good! Hope yours comes out good though.

Years ago I made a cushaw (green and white striped crooked neck) pumpkin wine that turned out very well as I recall. Since I'm likely the oldest guy here memories do fade.

Coll?

I have a recipe like that for marrow wine...

Hey Luc?

Large pumpkin to be used instead?

"The idea is to slice the top off the marrow and scoop out the seeds. Stuff the centre with demerara sugar, (a few raisins helps to improve the brew).
Put the top back on the marrow and seal it with tape to exclude the air.
Then either prop it up, or suspend it in an old (clean) pair of tights in a cool place.
When the marrow starts to go a little squishy poke a hole in the bottom with a skewer.
Put a muslin cloth over a sterilised bucket and let the juices drip through it.
Then drink and enjoy
Can be potent, especially with the raisins. "

Thoughts people?

I'm very tempted to do this... lol

Allie

did you ever give it a shot, allie? I'd like to try this year.

To be clear, the recipe calls for no water? no yeast?

not double-posting, answering my own question out loud:

I visited blacksheep enterprises website (via les "blacksheeples") and found the recipe listed here:
http://blacksheepenterprises.webs.com/recipes.html

it does call for yeast to be sprinkled in with the brown sugar, but no water is added.

I wonder if the pumpkin would explode given a small (.75 cup volume, max) yeast starter instead of dry yeast.

Yeast starter

Never tried this approach. Should work, but make sure you use good quality bags to put it into. (Just in case!)

ENJOY!! Les

hey slow,

are you going to give it a go?

I never actually got around to making that recipe.. apparently it's got a very strong sherry like finish.

A

ya i'm getting started tonight.

which reminds me i better wake up that yeast...

I think I'll tape the top down but not to make it air tight. I'm scared of pumpkin wine. this is what happened with that "low foaming" ec-1118
the barrel was only 2/3 full!

IMG_0143.jpg

OMG lol..

I feel for you darl.. we all have had a mess or two to clean up over the years..

EC1118 isn't low foaming when it hits a peach must either btw.

just letting you know that if you tape the lid down and it foams.. you are likely to force out the airlock and you'll have a geiser in a confined space.. think ceiling, walls and floor covered in foam...

just sayin!

Allie ;)

the pumpkin wines in the pumpkins are started, i hope. i guess i don't really have a way to check until the pumpkins start to soften. i only had regular sugar available.

on another note: i pressed what remained of my pumpkin explosion last night and was left with 20 gal of very syrupy orange stuff. the mixture is not sweet.

has anyone had this problem before? Should i do something or just wait?

just keep an eye on it, I reckon....

have never made pumpkin wine myself...

Allie

Latest posts

Back