Pumpkin Wine: Ph. too high?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kradman1

Junior
Reaction score
I made 6 gallons of Pumpkin wine Sept. 2009. I wrote down the ph. and acid but can no longer locate my notes. Hate when I do that. However, I do recall when I placed it in the carboy, I kept the ph. low - around 3.20 and acid around .60%. I remember feeling comfortable when placing it in a room with a consistent temp. of 62 degrees.

Today, my first racking, I tested it again to make adjustments and my ph. was 3.75 and acid 90%??? I checked my digital ph reader and tested with ph. paper. In addition, I tested my acid kit. What could have happen? Been making wine for years and never came across this. Could I have had a false reading early in the stage. Doesn't taste too acidity.

I made 6 gallons of Pumpkin wine Sept. 2009. I wrote down the ph. and acid but can no longer locate my notes. Hate when I do that. However, I do recall when I placed it in the carboy, I kept the ph. low - around 3.20 and acid around .60%. I remember feeling comfortable when placing it in a room with a consistent temp. of 62 degrees.

Today, my first racking, I tested it again to make adjustments and my ph. was 3.75 and acid 90%??? I checked my digital ph reader and tested with ph. paper. In addition, I tested my acid kit. What could have happen? Been making wine for years and never came across this. Could I have had a false reading early in the stage. Doesn't taste too acidity.

I have had this happen to me. I first thought I had false readings and then I read on another forum that someone waits until after fermentation to acid test. This is what I do and it is working well for me. Re-Test again and then re-adjust as needed.

I' adjust the PH/acidity before fermentation, both measurements are expected to change as part of the process, is normal to start at 3.5 and end at 3.7-3.9, more than likely your wine would be fine.

Back