Pump Thoughts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcamnl

Reaction score
What would be prefered or does it matter?
-pump air into full carboy to push wine to empty one.
or
-vac air out of empty carboy to pull wine from full carboy.

Just wondering. I may give one or the other a try this weekend and woundered what peoples thoughts were.
I will also keep searching for more info on vac pumps here too.

What would be prefered or does it matter?
-pump air into full carboy to push wine to empty one.
or
-vac air out of empty carboy to pull wine from full carboy.

Just wondering. I may give one or the other a try this weekend and woundered what peoples thoughts were.
I will also keep searching for more info on vac pumps here too.

Vacuum, this is done to limit the amount of air the the surface of the wine is exposed to. If you pump air in you will risk oxidation of your wine

Vacuum, this is done to limit the amount of air the the surface of the wine is exposed to. If you pump air in you will risk oxidation of your wine

I bought the Super Jet Filter for this purpose. I have had it for a year and a half and have only used it as a transfer pump. I use Argon if I'm worried about oxidation but for the 10 minutes that a container is opened you aren't going to oxidize. Especially if you properly sulfite beforehand.

On a personal note I have found that most home winemakers make oxidation and sanitizing a bigger deal than they are in real life. But that is a personal opinion...

**I re-read the question and understand what you meant now. Make the investment on a pump and don't make some homemade jerry rigged contraption.**

The big advantage to using the vacuum pump is that the wine gets degassed much more completely and easily. I would highly recommend this over the "push" pump.

The big advantage to using the vacuum pump is that the wine gets degassed much more completely and easily. I would highly recommend this over the "push" pump.

Good point! Also, if it had to be one or the other, would you rather be in a small room with a glass carboy that is imploding or with one that is exploding?
Use a vacuum!

Ok. Works for me.
I will go the vacuum route.
Was going to head to my local supply shop tomorrow and pick up a couple of those carboy caps and another racking cane.
My peach needs a racking this weekend so we'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Youd be better off finding out if they have dble drilled bungs, they work way better then the carboy caps and dont require any modification. They dont leak like the carboy caos do or can and some of the carboy caps are abnormal shapes. Trust me! If your place doesnt have them Morewine.com and Valley Vintner have them.

Wade, I just saw your tutorial on vac-degassing. My set up is the same except I use a short 6" tube in the receiving car boy in lu of your racking tube. My thought is this would be a "splash rack" under vacuum. Any thoughts? Roy

I have several double drilled silicone bungs for sale. Anyone that is interested can send me a private message.

FTC, if you use this with improper sulfites then you may oxidise a fragile white or lioght fruit wine. Does it help degas yor wine by doing that, yes, but at what risk!

Latest posts

Back