Pump recommendation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distancerunner

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re looking at pumps. Looking at diaphragm pumps because they are reportedly easier on the wine.

Our current annual output is roughly eighty gallons. We are planning to add another partner or two for the fall crush. That means our output is likely to be half again what we’re doing now.

We have a vacuum rig for transfers between carboys. It works great (thanks, Steve!) but we can’t use it to move wine into barrels and tanks with floating lids.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I've been using Sureflo diaphram pump 2088-594-154 for going on 10 years. Self priming, 9 foot lift, 3 gallon per minute. It has been a real work horse, especially for $78. I built my own caddy to power it and carry it around. Be sure to get the filter (255-313) for the inlet and screw on barbs.

deleteme.jpg

If making things is not your thing, basically the same pump is available as a standalone, with on/off switch built in for $100 more at morewinemaking.com.

Thanks, NorCal.

Cobbling things together isn't much of a problem.

The pump appears to have threaded inlet/outlet. Do we use those with a hose type fitting? Or are those barbed fittings attached to the inlet/outlets? What size are the hoses?

The filter at Morewinemaking seems to be smaller than the filter you recommend. Is there a difference or advantage between one or the other?

The 1/2 inch barbs fit on the threaded inlet/outlet and is compatible with 1/2 inside diameter tubing. I recommend the reinforced tubing (cloth weave in the tubing) to avoid kinks. The filter I supplied the link to is the one I use. It is small, but if it fills up it is because I messed up the racking and doesn't happen that frequently. The one at Morewinemaking is larger, and also works fine (@4score has that one). The important thing is to have some sort of filter to keep seeds out of the diaphrams in the pump or else you will be pulling the pump apart....the reason I quickly got the filter after buying the pump.

I have this one from Morewinemaking. It comes complete with inlet/outlet tubing and a prefilter, has variable speed up to 3 gal/min and is self priming. It has generally worked well for me, I have used it for pumping over 60 gal of wine into barrel after fermentation/press, and a similar quantity of finished wine from carboys into a tank for bottling. The filter can become clogged, so it's worth keeping an eye on it and cleaning it out if the pump rate slows down - particularly for wine that has solids in it such as straight out of your fermenter.

I have this one from Morewinemaking.
I recently purchased this pump as well, and will be testing it this weekend. Good to know you're happy!

I almost went with the AiO pump, but it doesn't handle the open fermenters, so I went with this one. If I was doing all 19/23 liter batches, I would have purchased the AiO.

However, regarding barrels, a bung can be made for it so the AiO will work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back