Pulp bag?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie Parrish

Reaction score
I started 5 gallons of strawberry on Wednesday added yeast thursday its not Saturday night and the only activity I see is the pulp bag is blower up like a balloon so I'm assuming the yeast finally started...my question is I used a pillow case for a bag is it ok that its filling up with gas like that.....do I just push the gas out to deflate it when punch it down 2 times a day or do I need to do something else to get the gas out the bag

Also would I be correct in assuming that the bag filling with gas means fermentation has begun....I started a gallon of blackberry the same day and its foaming and making all kinda noise this is my first time making wine so exactly what's normal

A pillow case is too close woven -you should be using a bag made for the purpose or even a paint strainer bag.

You seem to have fermentation happening but are you taking SG measurements before you start and during fermentation. That't the only way to determine how well the fermentation i progressing

A pillow case is too close woven -you should be using a bag made for the purpose or even a paint strainer bag.

You seem to have fermentation happening but are you taking SG measurements before you start and during fermentation. That't the only way to determine how well the fermentation i progressing
Hey thank you for your reply yes I did check the SG and it is coming down on both I made another rookie mistake and broke my hydrometer last night will be getting a new one soon as the place opens I will let you know what there at

And the pillow case I realize now it was a bad idea I thought it would be ok since I seen the idea in a recipe I found online guess its true what they about believing everything you see on the internet. What you suggest I do poke some holes? Dump the whole bag in the must? Or leave it and hope for the best?

Thank you ill do that for sure.

And no the rookie mistake is I just got back from the store got the reading on the strawberry (1.083) and broke the new one

Again no, the rookie mistake was not buying 2.
I haven't broke one since ive had 2.
Yea that actually makes a lot of since ill be getting 2 next time and avoid murphy's laws thanks

One more question what should I be checking for as far when to move to secondary fermentation of keep seeing around day 5 is that 5 days from when I started, when I pitched the yeast, or when it finally started fermenting? Iv also read do it when the fruit sinks to the bottom and iv seen to do it when SG is 1.030 or less is that the day it hits 1.030 or after its stayed under 1.030 a few days

Usually around an sg of 1.000.
But i pull strawberry pulp after a week regardless, to prevent the yeast from breaking down the seeds.

As meadmaker1 says watch out for seeds and dead yeast kicking out bad smells and flavors.

As for racking I rack when two criteria are met: 1) SG below 1.020 and 2) Foaming activity is over or very minimal.

Even a low SG must can generate a lot foam when racked - if foaming is still occurring let it ride until you hit 1.000 or lower.

Well got it moved to secondary and now I'm hooked woke up this morning a lil upset i had nothing to do for a week or so already thinking about what to start now

Attachments

• 20180919_212337.jpg
    20180919_212337.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
Back