Pruning help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob fender

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my names Rob and I'm from Norfolk in the UK

I've moved house and I have a garden with about 25 grapevines. As it's the dormant period I've cut off this years wood back to a couple of buds but I'm not sure if I've done right or what my direction of pruning should be as all the vines are untrained.

All the vines are wine varieties but when I've looked at all the methods of pruning it's a complete mine field. Help please..View attachment 52335 View attachment 52336

what is the variety? That will impact training system. moving wires may be required

Hi, they all all various varieties of booskoop glory, vitus spulga, regent, cabernet sauvingon, gamay, pinot blanc, phoenix. I initially place this question in the incorrect place so posed the question in the vine growing section. I have now pruned to as close as I can to the previous recommendations?

IMG_20181126_213634_pruning (1).jpg Basic-Grape-Vine-Diagram.jpg
Hopefully this is right.

Since you used my image, but anther's erroneous suggestion of "what I meant", I have corrected this at your original post:

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/pruning-help.67561/#post-712759

But, to repeat here, actually, you can select either a cane pruning or cordon and spur pruning method. Whatever works best for you and your vines. E.g. some vines do not work well with a cane system, their canes are too stiff and better as cordons. But, cordons mean more wood, and thus possibly more long term pest (i.e. mite) sources. Etc. So there is no one "correct" answer. However, vinifera vines tend to grow up (so you want a vertical training method for those) and hybrids tend to grow down (so a top wire system is better for those).

parts-of-a-grapevine-training-methods_2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Balatonwine, apologies for not only using your image but in the wrong context. The photo of my vines that you kindly added advised pruning annotations is the way I've tried to prune on all the vines, so cane pruning. A tad difficult as the vines where more like a half standard Bush.
Some canes did struggle to tie down to the horizontal but they definitely now resemble a neater shape vine.

Latest posts

Back