Pruned two weeks before a very hard freeze...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhill40

Reaction score
So I'm a little anxious about the timing of my first pruning. Normally our winters maybe get down to 15-20 degrees. I brutally pruned my new vines for shaping meaning I cut big limbs off the main stalk close to the graft about 12 days prior to a 3 degree night. We had many below freezing nights prior to the pruning so I have no doubt the vines had hardened but 3 degrees is frickin' cold. Any one have experience with this situation? Will the open wound freeze easier than leaving them unpruned until March?

I'm growing vinifera, mostly cabernet sauv. some grafted, some own-rooted.

That is the reason I wait until spring to prune. You never know when you will get a cold weather extreme event. If you prune to the final number of buds early and you get an extreme freeze, you have no way to adjust the number of retained buds. Keep your fingers crossed they did not freeze too hard.

I agree with grapeman. We have a small vineyard, and we always prune in the spring, before budding so you aren't knocking off the buds. The large commercial vineyards here start pruning around Thanksgiving. But I have never seen them out pruning this time of year. Your winters are mostly like ours--but you have the potential of much colder weather, like we just went thru. It's always good to use caution and not let your cabin fever over-run your logic.

Thanks for the reply Grapeman. I guess worst case I might get to try my hand a grafting sooner than I expected. It's all a learning thing a this point so I'll consider it a lesson.

Bad results from an experiment doesn't mean the experiment was bad just the results were. ;)

Didn't hurt them at all. Took a sharp knife and tested my vines last week. All but the very ends are green juicy and ready to break with warm weather.

We haven't had that artic express shoot down into the deep south for decades. I saw the weather model and it was an "oh sh#t" moment. Lesson learned.

I apply a small dose of imidacloprid via micro-drip irrigation when the shoots are a couple of inches once a year. I also have several Cab and Petit Manseng vines growing on their own roots. I haven't lost a vine to PD or Phylloxera. Last year I lost a mature vine to downy mildew before I realized my fungicide rotation was no longer working. Agri-phos and Captan saved the vineyard after an almost complete defoliation.

Latest posts

Back