Prune Juice Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going out on a limb here, but has anyone here attempted fermenting straight Prune Juice. You know, the bottled stuff from the grocery store. I am curious as to how it tastes and feels after fermenting to dry.
Why? Well, all in the name of experimentation, of course. I enjoy the raisiny type of Zinfandels, and before I ruin a batch on an experiment, I am considering fermenting one gallon of Prune Juice to see where it ends.
Anyone?

Interesting... I wonder if it would turn out to be a sort of plum wine. If you try this, let me know how it turns out.

I think that most packages prunes have preservatives. The one I looked at has potassium sorbate. So it would be more challenging, but not impossible, to get the yeast started.

Yeah, I'd definitely avoid any sorbate as an ingredient. I'm thinking that raisins in my secondary might be a more effective & safer route to take.

I did a mead once using prunes, and it definitely has a very different quality than fresh plum - much more "stewed" toasty and earthy flavor , very much like how a prune tastes compared to a plum, in fact.

It was decent, but I don't think I would do it again.

Latest posts

Back