Other Proud new papa

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZMDTed

Just a guy
Reaction score
The newest member of our family has arrived, a brand spanking new, bouncing 23L baby Vadai barrel.

I can't wait to get this in action. I'm going to start prepping tomorrow, then I will start fermenting an Eclipse Dry Creek Chardonnay in it Wednesday or Thursday. Already made reds waiting their turn in it are Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet, Barossa Valley Shiraz and Fourtitude. Kits on deck are another Cabernet, Amarone, and a Super Tuscan I won at the Winemaker Mag conference.

I asked Vandergrift about barrels and he said next to yeast they are the best addition to kit wine making. He recommended starting with three white fermentations, but I don't drink that much white, so one it is and then on to the Reds. Thanks to all who have posted on barrels on other threads. Good info.

I'm excited.

image.jpg

BTW - I use a silicone bung, not the wood one.

Thanks all.

I actually ordered a silicone bung to come with it but they sent a second wooden one. I will get back with them on Tuesday, or find one somewhere.

You will love it.

Definitely do NOT use the wooden bung. Silicone, or a #8 stopper with airlock.

While you're fermenting your Chard, you can leave it open (covered with a towel), or with the bung loosely placed in there. So you have some time.

Did you order direct from Vadai?

You will love it.

Definitely do NOT use the wooden bung. Silicone, or a #8 stopper with airlock.

While you're fermenting your Chard, you can leave it open (covered with a towel), or with the bung loosely placed in there. So you have some time.

Did you order direct from Vadai?

Jim,
Vadai was out of stock when last I spoke with them. She wasn't sure when they would get them in. I got it from Musto Wine Grape Company in Hartford, CT.

I picked up regular rubber bungs yesterday to get me thru till I get the silicone one. As you said, I've got some time.

Ted

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back