Pros and cons of cool ambient temperatures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan

Reaction score
Right now I'm working on a cranberry wine. Started at 1.085 SG with Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast, with appropriate rehydration technique, plus Fermaid-K addition 24 hours after pitching and just now again at 1.050 SG after 72 hours.

The ambient temperature in my basement is now a temperate California 63 degrees. My must is at 66 degrees. 1116 yeast will tolerate down to 50 degrees, according to the manufacturer. I think 1/3 reduction in SG is reasonable after 3 days.

Question: what are the benefits and/or detriments of fermenting at a temperature in the 60s, both for my cranberry wine, and also for any dry red wines or other fruit wines I may start over the winter?

Should I invest in some means to warm up my primary vessel? Thanks!!

Morgan, there are ranges that research has shown are best for either red or white wines. White wines tend to do well at lower temperatures and red wines at higher temperatures. If you ask 5 winemakers, you will get 10 different answers. I have had success using 66-75 degrees F for whites and 75-82 degrees F for reds.

Too low of a temperature can inhibit the yeast from starting to work and too high a temperature can kill it. Lower temperature fermentation takes longer but some people see this as a benefit and feel the resulting wine is fuller and more flavorful. I am not sure where Cranberry fits on the scale, but I would imagine it is closer to a white wine than a red wine.

Back