Proper Sanitization Dosage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is quite the eye opener, I’ve been using Starsan for years and never knew it only was good for an hour. I usually make a gallon mix at a time, So either it works or I’ve been lucky. I’ve always thought that So2 degraded faster so didn’t use it for sanitizing. I guess I’ll mix up starsan as needed till it’s gone, then switch to So2.

I found a old batch I mixed up 3 years ago. The ph was still good so used it. :) No issues yet. :) But certainly some interesting reading.

Eye wash fountains should be provided in the immediate work area for emergency use.
Does my kitchen sink count as an eye wash fountain?

Do not eat, smoke, or drink where Dodecylbenzene Sulfonic Acid is handled, processed, or stored, since the chemical can be swallowed.
I hope that no one is tasting wine in their wine making area! :rolleyes:

Conclusion: Do not drink Starsan or get it into your eyes.

Does my kitchen sink count as an eye wash fountain?

I hope that no one is tasting wine in their wine making area! :rolleyes:

Conclusion: Do not drink Starsan or get it into your eyes.
“Don’t drink it”, yet the recommendation is to fill bottles while they are still wet from the solution. No rinsing please.

“Don’t drink it”, yet the recommendation is to fill bottles while they are still wet from the solution. No rinsing please.
The difference is like cinnamon -- while mixing a teaspoon into your roll batter produces a wondrous flavor, you do NOT want to eat a spoon of ground cinnamon.

If you haven't tried that, do so. I did it as a child and the lesson it taught me is still vivid 50 years later! 😂

The difference is like cinnamon -- while mixing a teaspoon into your roll batter produces a wondrous flavor, you do NOT want to eat a spoon of ground cinnamon.

If you haven't tried that, do so. I did it as a child and the lesson it taught me is still vivid 50 years later! 😂
Now that you are older and wiser, try a spoonful of black pepper.

I received an answer from Five Star Chemicals. While she didn't answer the question why their FAQ says only 1 hours duration, but she provided guidance on how long a batch is good for:

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at Five Star!

You can get some longevity out of a mixed solution of Starsan/Saniclean. The key is your pH level of the mixed solution, an effective solution will have a pH of 3.5 or below.

Tab [I assume this is a typo and means "tap"] water solutions can last 3-5 months and if RO or Distilled water is used a mixed solution can last even longer. Just be sure to test your PH with a meter or pH paper. We also sell a test kit which will test the actual ppms if interested.

Cheers,

Emily Lovato
Business Development / Technical Sales Manager
Five Star Chemicals
6870 W. 52nd, Suite #205
Arvada, CO 80002
(303) 287-0186
Fivestarchemicals.com

I received another email from Emily @ Five Star Chemicals, to which she attached reference sheets. Five Star makes a lot of products, and the reference sheets indicate the purpose for each, shelf life, and how long to sanitize. I added a new page to my site for hosting documents such as this -- if nothing else, it makes it easier for me to find them when I need them.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/documents/

I received another email from Emily @ Five Star Chemicals, to which she attached reference sheets. Five Star makes a lot of products, and the reference sheets indicate the purpose for each, shelf life, and how long to sanitize. I added a new page to my site for hosting documents such as this -- if nothing else, it makes it easier for me to find them when I need them.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/documents/
Good stuff! Thanks for posting this. The info on Nomacorc is enlightening.

My sanitizing solution is 3 Tbsp K-meta and 1 Tbsp acid (citric is supposed to be best, although I use what I have the most of) in 1 US gallon (128 oz) water. No rinsing is required, nor is it recommended as tap water used to rinse will have organisms in it. Just drip off the excess.

Based upon this, use 2.25 tsp K-meta and 0.75 tsp acid in 1 US quart (32 oz).

2 tsp in 1 US gallon is a light dose. K-meta doesn't sanitize instantly -- I typically let equipment stand at least 10 minutes after rinsing. With a light dose the time is probably longer.

@Eddie_G, your mixture is 4 times stronger than mine, and mine will burn your lungs. I recommend using a lighter dosage, as SO2 is bad for the lungs.

I run a fan when working with K-meta solution, and when feasible open windows.
Would you use this to sanitize bottles prior to filling?

Latest posts

Back