Proper dosing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Wurtz

Junior
Reaction score
Ok i do understand that potassium sorbate prevents further fermentation by binding yeast but what is the proper dose per gallon of dry clear wine before backsweetening ( for both potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite)?And does it add off flavors?

For the potassium sorbate you need about 1g per gallon. The sulfite needs to be adjusted according to the pH, if you don't have the pH, probably 40 to 50ppm free at bottling would be reasonable.

I don't have any equipment to test the free SO2 so what would be a safe amount to add to reach those approximate levels? The only time I've added it is before fermentation. im also at about 15 % alc.

The standard dosage for aging wine is 1/4 tsp K-meta per 6 gallons (Some will tell you per 5 gallons) [ If you use Campden Tablet the rate is 1 tablet per gallon (Crush well, put it in a fresh carboy and rack into that carboy.)]
For Potassium Sorbate the standard bottle I use states 1/2 tsp per gallon. I never dose with Sorbate until about a week before I back-sweeten. If you are not back-sweetening and your SG is below 1.000 I would not use Sorbate.

Since you haven't dosed the wine with K-meta since the end of fermentation you need to dose it right away.
Most folks follow a general practice of a Dose with K-Meta every 3 months when they rack.

Hitting the recommended ppm standards is tough to do without that additional equipment which I suspect is not in the hands of at least half the folks on this board so most just follow the standard doseage rate.

Depends on what equipment you want - Vinmetrica has a complete SO2, TA, PH for $483.00 Their basic SO2 only unit looks like about $300.00. Also factor in the supplies for the testing.

Someone may have a much better idea on prices and equipment - this is what I found in a quick 5min search.

By the way your post will receive much more attention under the General Wine Making section on here or even the Beginner Section.

Latest posts

Back