Process question re. Power outage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So here’s my situation: When we lost power and water on Tuesday I had two kits in secondary with the AF almost complete. The kits are 1. A double kit of WE Classic Chile Merlot in a 6.5G and a 5G glass carboy. 2. An RJS Primeur Australian Pinot Noir with skins in a bigmouth fermenter. All three were in my closet sized (6’x4’) fermentation room, were between 1.005-1.007 SG and at 70 degrees. They held their own for a couple of days but as the temp in the house fell the fermentations slowed. I was consumed with other matters so just kept the door closed and crossed my fingers. Power was restored yesterday afternoon and I was able to check the wine this morning. The merlot (both carboys) are at 0.996 at 55 degrees. All good, right? The Pinot is at 1.000 at 54 degrees. My questions are about the Pinot. Should I warn it up ang see if the SG will drop some more? Should I abandon the EM plan and get it into a carbon where I can protect it better?
Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

I don't see how you would loose anything by leaving it sit until tomorrow. It should warm up in the closet with your heater working again. I understand the merlot is in carboys. I assume the pinot is also in a carboy.

Glad to hear you power is back!

My bigmouth is 6.5gal glass. EM is extended maceration. I use the large opening to move the skins bag from primary to secondary and had planned to leave it on the skin (EM) for 4-6 weeks. The bigmouth does have an airlock but the large lid doesn’t seal perfectly. It protects better than the primary bucket but not as well as a glass carboy. I added the skin to the must on 2/6 and pitched on 2/7 so it’s been on the skins for two weeks. I put a carboy warmer on it this morning so we’ll see how that goes.

My money's on the Pinot fermentation picking up again, and the Merlot may even go a little further. I'm thinking the cool temps actually helped your EM, if anything. And a perfect seal isn't necessary. If the air lock bubbles, there's positive pressure, and gas is only getting out, not coming in. With an S-type air lock, you can tell a positive pressure just be the relative levels of the two bulbs.

Good luck. I'm sure everything is fine.

I am also thinking that cooler temperatures and/or a slower fermenting yeast strain could help with Extended Macerations, so long as you eventually ferment out to dry, the slower the better in terms of both maintaining the CO2 blanket and also having the movement within the primary effectively increasing the maceration.

Along those lines you could also extend a fermentation, while doing EM, by adding a small portion of the fermentables as the original ferment gets to dry (basically holding some juice back, or, if you were adding fruit or chaptalizing, adding it later as original ferment slowed).

It has been a somewhat slow ferment from the beginning. I used BM4x4, it started at 1.094 and took 7 days to get to 1.020.
I put some heat on it this morning and it has started bubbling again slowly. I like where it is now. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back