Problems with airlocks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
Most of my airlocks are the double chamber types. I have used water and glycerin in them (at different times, not together). However, when I push the airlock into the stopper or the combination airlock and stopper into the carboy, the liquid all goes to one side. I have tried leveling them but nothing works for me.

I have thus far just left them with only one chamber with liquid.

There must be a simple solution but it seems to be very complex to me. Any ideas?

Isn't that the same as when co2 is coming out. I always figured the double chamber was to catch any liquid that would be sucked or pushed back into a carboy. I'm just shooting a guess here.

I used them in the beginning and played with it a little. I didnt think it really mattered. But seems if you put it through the bung first then put the bung in it didnt put as much pressure on it.

Don't sweat it.
It doesn't matter where the liquid is as long as air can't get past the liquid.
Only problem would be if you did not have enough liquid and air was allowed to leak past the liquid barrier.

It just shows that you have no leaks anywhere because you are creating a slight pressure when you insert it. It's a good thing.

This is how it was explained to me using the double chamber airlocks - that there should be a difference of liquid height from the 2 chambers. That will tell you if you have a postive or a negative pressure within the carboy. If you find that the airlock are even on both = you most likely have an airleak within the bung to the carboy neck or bung to the airlock and it is letting in air.
I can look at the airlocks every other morning and make sure that there are no problems.

Last edited:
well now, all that makes sense to me. Thanks

Now I will worry if they are all even!

Well, like a broken clock, they will be even at least some of the time!!

Latest posts

Back