Problem with the Red Zin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Well I have discovered a small problem with my Red Zinfendal. I currently have 20-22 bottles left from the kit and I found that there is quite a mess inside about half the bottles ~10. When you hold the bottle upto the light there is a decent amount (more then im comfortable with) of little peices of 'junk' in there. It looks almost like little parts of the cork if you were to tear one up real fine. This is also odd becuase I filtered this wine with the Vinbrite filter. The other bottles dont have this problem at all. Im not sure what cause this or what to do about it. Should I open those bottles, re-filter, then re-bottle those?

Scubaman2151

It really is nothing to worry about. If you want it clean, yes just uncork it and pour them back into a bucket, refilter, bottle and recork. I would open one first and see what it is before deciding. If it is just sediment, just decant it before drinking to avoid the floaties.

What it might be is lint from within the filter. Do you run a gallon of water through before filterin the wine like the directions tell you to? If not, it is probably paper lint from the filter.

Is it pieces of cork? Did your corks scuff on the corker or anything like that while you were corking? I had that happen once.

I have no idea what happened to the cork, it might have scrapped, but would that only effect that half of the bottles?

Latest posts

Back