Quantcast

Problem posting!

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

oxeye

Reaction score
Am I the only one here who has problems replying in the threads here!

For some reason, almost everytime I post a response to one of the threads here, I'm required to RE-LOG IN.

Even when I attempt to preview my post, I'm required to RE-LOG IN!

Plus, usually my post becomes deleted during this process, and I must begin the drill all over again.

This is becoming pretty discouraging, and I'm starting to question whether it's worth this hassel to participate here, or not!

Pogo

phermenter

Reaction score
Same here. Though I'm not sure this post will ever see the light of day. I'm about 3 for 7 on this, my first day on the forum.

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem. I have attempted to post a new thread about making a sweet sparkling wine now 4 times in the last week, and it still has not shown up. I have also tried posting it as a reply in an already existing thread, and it hasn't shown up.

The issue with mine is that it tells me my message needs to be moderator approved, but either it takes forever to get approved, or it is just getting lost in cyberspace.

This is getting very frustrating. Who is the admin or moderators? Do they know that we are having these problems.

Reaction score
Bottle conditioning a sweet sparkling wine?

Here is the post (hopefully this will finally see the light of day... have been trying for a week now)

I have 7 gallons of a nice white wine that I have yet to bottle, from this year's harvest. It is fully fermented to dryness.

When I made the wine, before I added the yeast to the must, I collected a gallon of unfermented juice, and canned it in mason jars using a boiling water bath. I want to use this juice to re-sweeten the wine now that it is done.

My goal is to make the wine sparkling, by bottle-conditioning it. For obvious reasons, this could prove to be tricky. I want the yeast to consume enough sugar to carbonate the wine in the bottle, but not so much that the wine flavor drys up and (even worse!) over-pressurizes, making bottle bombs which can be very dangerous.

Here is my theory on how to do this. Please let me know what you think:

1) Open the sweet juice and add yeast to start it fermenting. Once fermentation has started in a day or so, get ready to bottle the wine.

2) Add extra sulfite and sorbate to the finished wine.

3) Add sorbate to the fermenting juice. (Because sorbate doesn't kill yeast, but only prevents them from reproducing, fermentation should continue)

4) Mix together the finished wine and the fermenting wine. (Because there is a critical mass of yeast, they shouldn't be immediately killed by the SO2 concentrations in the finished wine). Bottle and cork.

5) Allow to bottle condition for an hour or two, for carbonation. Refrigerate. Hopefully the cold temperature will force the yeast to flocculate and settle to the bottom.

6) Use the Method Champenoise to remove the yeast deposit. (This an entire post in itself! Does anyone have experience with it?) Slowly turn the bottles upside down while rotating them over the course of several weeks. Once all of the lease have settled in the tip of the bottle neck, freeze the neck only, and remove the frozen yeast deposit, quickly re-corking the bottle to prevent any loss of carbonation.

Hopefully the finished product will be stable enough to store and age at cellar temperature, without a renewed fermentation.

What do you think? Will this work? Will it even carbonate the wine? Or am I just describing a complicated way to land myself in the hospital from exploding bottles?

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Reaction score
If you have 2 windows open at the same time on your computer
and while typing a message you switch between the two
for some reason this board thinks you have logged out.

It happened to me a few times, maybe that is your problem also.

Luc

Reaction score
That may have been the problem for the first two posters in this thread (can't speak for them), but I'm certain it was not my problem.

Perhaps it is just taking the moderators forever to approve my post. But if that's the case, I don't understand why some of my posts seem to not require approval. Is it a legnth issue?

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Please make it easier

There are some red necks trying to use this site, we're not to good on computers. How bout a forum on "Posting" and where to find it it it gets posted. I'm totally lost here, this is where I think I can find the answere to all my questions. I'm trying to make my first batch of wine and all I know about it is what I've read on the internet and they use words that I don't know what they are. Can you explain posting in about 3rd grade level.

Semper Fi

Thanks Bud

Tom

Reaction score
Am I the only one here who has problems replying in the threads here!

For some reason, almost everytime I post a response to one of the threads here, I'm required to RE-LOG IN.

Even when I attempt to preview my post, I'm required to RE-LOG IN!

Plus, usually my post becomes deleted during this process, and I must begin the drill all over again.

This is becoming pretty discouraging, and I'm starting to question whether it's worth this hassel to participate here, or not!

Pogo
When you sign in check the box that says remember me

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Map

Just tried to sign in on Map, "wooden" let me do it. May be it's just me, but it wouldn't take it. I tried two or three times. Sure is hard to find your way around. I think this sight is great, I chance upon a lot of good stuff, but then I can't find it again, gonna take some getting used to