Problem after bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiquitaRose

Junior
Reaction score
I've made 6 gals. of rice-raisin wine and bottled it. The problem I am having is that it seems to have CO2 in it still. I thought I stabilized it properly by stirring it, I also ran it thru a filter for polishing. The wine has been bottled for about a month and I'm noticing corks that are starting to come out. What am I doing wrong? This is the second batch of wine that this has happened to (first was a blueberry wine). And although the spritziness gives it a feel like champagne, I am trying to make wine. I would like to be able to bottle wine in the future without this problem. Help?

Your wine was not degassed long enough.
You have 2 choices..
DRINK it fast
or
Uncork and degass and rebottle. CAUTION.. This may oxidize your wine
Lisson learned.. I bet you did not taste it prior to bottling. Doing so you should have picked up the fizz

I think that your Wine was not fermented to dryness and you have wakened

the remaining yeast by stirring and bringing Oxygen .

You should have stabilized your Wine by adding Potassium Sorbate .

Your Wine is in danger of being oxidized .

Hector

De-Gassing does not stabilize the wine. It just removes excess CO2. I am sure you actually got a minor re-fermentation in the bottle going. You need to add K-Meta and K-Sorbate to your wine to stabilize them and prevent oxidation.

De-Gassing does not stabilize the wine. It just removes excess CO2. I am sure you actually got a minor re-fermentation in the bottle going. You need to add K-Meta and K-Sorbate to your wine to stabilize them and prevent oxidation.

beat me to it.

i'll add that my first wine i didn't degas quite enough. none of my corks tried to push out, because it was fully fermented and I did sulfite & sorbate.

in my case you can get rid of that CO2 'tickle on the tongue' by pouring into a carafe first.

yours sounds like fermentation wasn't over...it takes a lotta pressure to push a cork.

Back