WineXpert Private Reserve Yakima Pinot Gris

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Just received this one today and am hoping to start this weekend. Came with K1-11V yeast, which I think I'll use (not sure I have anything better on hand). Any other recommended tweaks?

Flavors and aromas vary greatly from region to region and from style to style. But common features include notes of pears, apples, stonefruit, tropical fruit, sweet spices and even a hint of smoke or wet wool. That's the description I found on one site for pinot gris. So maybe some addition of pears cooked down with the base, although I tend to do much less tweaking to the higher end kits.

I have done the Eclipse version of this, and loved it. I fattened up the alcohol to 1.101 SG, and used D-47 and sur-lie aging. Like Craig, I don't usually add much to high-end kits, but, if I were going to add a fruit to this, it would be apricots. To me, fat-style Pinot Gris wants to be redolent of apricot.

You just have to ferment something don't you! LOL!

I bottled a batch two weeks ago and have an empty carboy that's bugging the heck outta me! 🤣 And with my dad taking 1/3 or more of my production for the last few years, my supply is suddenly running low. :oops:

Made 3 of these kits last year, one is in bulk age now. Made them all without any tweaks and loved the end result. Now I am curious if the recommended tweaks the senior members suggested would improve it. Please keep us updated if you decide to tweak the kit.

Latest posts

Back