WineXpert Private reserve (etc)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Winexpert has rebranded, renamed and re-sized its kits and retailers are claiming they are better. While I think they are too new to know for sure, I think I want to be from Missouri on this one.
I'm struggling with the fact that the kits are smaller, which obviously costs less to package and to ship, while the price actually went up. So is this remake simply an excersise in improving profit margin, or did someone actually find a way to make a better product in a smaller box?
I'm thinking I'll switch to RJS for now and wait for feedback from the experts here.

I have been in conversation with customer service at Wine Expert voicing our disappoint in their elimination of the Eclipse product . Our group produces 60 to 100+ gallons per year of Limited Edition or Eclipse. According to WE they have enhanced taste, flavor, and aromatics. At the same time you add 4 more liters of water. I find that statement very difficult to believe. As I stated to WE, you saved cost in product, production, packaging, and shipping but charge same or more and give the customer less.

I have been in conversation with customer service at Wine Expert voicing our disappoint in their elimination of the Eclipse product . Our group produces 60 to 100+ gallons per year of Limited Edition or Eclipse. According to WE they have enhanced taste, flavor, and aromatics. At the same time you add 4 more liters of water. I find that statement very difficult to believe. As I stated to WE, you saved cost in product, production, packaging, and shipping but charge same or more and give the customer less.
And what have they been saying?

This was their original reply.

Thank you for contacting me.
I hope you won’t rush to judge us. Our kits still make 23L of excellent quality wine.
We posed the question to ourselves, ‘If we were starting this business again, what would we do differently?’ Our products have been completely reformulated with a focus on improved flavor, color, and aromatics. It was also important to reduce our carbon footprint by using less plastic, paper and energy in the process of making the wine kits.
If you would like any further detail or have other questions or concerns please, do not hesitate to contact me.

I can only guess we are helping their carbon footprint and profit margin.

Next reply quoted their satisfaction guarantee if not satisfied

Assuring you of our best endeavours,

This was their original reply.

Thank you for contacting me.
I hope you won’t rush to judge us. Our kits still make 23L of excellent quality wine.
We posed the question to ourselves, ‘If we were starting this business again, what would we do differently?’ Our products have been completely reformulated with a focus on improved flavor, color, and aromatics. It was also important to reduce our carbon footprint by using less plastic, paper and energy in the process of making the wine kits.
If you would like any further detail or have other questions or concerns please, do not hesitate to contact me.

I can only guess we are helping their carbon footprint and profit margin.

Next reply quoted their satisfaction guarantee if not satisfied

Assuring you of our best endeavours,
Thanks for the information. I tend to agree with you about the profit thing. Better grapes make better wine but they aren't talking about buying better grapes are they?

So Winexpert has rebranded, renamed and re-sized its kits and retailers are claiming they are better. While I think they are too new to know for sure, I think I want to be from Missouri on this one.
I'm struggling with the fact that the kits are smaller, which obviously costs less to package and to ship, while the price actually went up. So is this remake simply an excersise in improving profit margin, or did someone actually find a way to make a better product in a smaller box?
I'm thinking I'll switch to RJS for now and wait for feedback from the experts here.
Color me extremely skeptical. In 78 years on this Orb I have learned in matters of business, always follow the money and you will find the answer in the vast majority of cases.

I think it's happening all over the world! Blame the accountants who only deal with figures. Companies rely on the fact that most people who are brand followers just look at the price and not what they are getting for their money. For example, products in large boxes. Because the price is cheaper than two small ones they assume the big one is best. In the UK in supermarkets The price per 100g is printed in tiny letters under the price they'll pay, but human nature being what it is, they just can't be bothered. I hate to say it, but my CEO (wife) is a guilty party.😍

My concern is that in WE's mind the wine is better is after 2 months in the bottle, after all they claim it is drinkable in 6-8 weeks ;). I don't touch my high end kit reds until 2 years aging (bulk + bottle) and don't know that WE looked at aging potential on the new and improved kits. I will wait until I see reviews on 2+ year old vs the old format kits preferably with the Stags Leap Merlot.

Anyone know anything about the new "On the House" kits from WE? They're 6 liter, 4 week kits that average about 11.5% abv. LabelPeelers has them for $44-$47.

I would expect them to be very low end. In need of major enhancements to make a good wine. They might be good for an everyday drinker, but nothing special.

I would expect them to be very low end. In need of major enhancements to make a good wine. They might be good for an everyday drinker, but nothing special.
I'm sure they're low end. But I was surprised to see this new line of kits since I don't remember them mentioning it as part of their recent makeover. Sounds like a beefed up Island Mist!

I just started one of the new WE kits but am skeptical that it will be as good as the earlier versions. I will not follow their timeline because I usually rack several times. I also don't like that WE is combining Meta and Sorbate in a single packet since I never use sorbate. A minor thing since I always have plenty of meta on hand.

I just opened a WE Private Reserve Sonoma Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay. Just giving a report on the contents:
14L juice
45 g oak chips (American, light toast)
bentonite
sulfite/sorbate combined package (into the trash it goes!)
EC-1118 (but I will swap in D47)
kiesolol and chitosan
labels

I just started it. Starting SG was 1.094.

I just opened a WE Private Reserve Sonoma Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay. Just giving a report on the contents:
14L juice
45 g oak chips (American, light toast)
bentonite
sulfite/sorbate combined package (into the trash it goes!)
EC-1118 (but I will swap in D47)
kiesolol and chitosan
labels

I just started it. Starting SG was 1.094.
I used to make that one. I liked it because it was un-oaked. I wonder if it would be the same if I just left the oak out, or if it's completely different?

🍷OK fellow wine makers here it is the Limited released- Winexpert reserve -private release- FIERO
This has everything you need to make a good wine and more ( read descript online) ,remember Iv been reducing the water levels for a long time now so its no surprise to me that they finically caught up . I keep saying less is more and so it is.
the juice pack is enough along with the fpac to do the job and concentrate flavors, the fpac will add a lot of flavor and body along with the fact there's two yeast, one for structure one for powering the yeast though fermentation smart move Iv been talking about that, the rest is basic kit functions.
with this one I like the background it's a Primitivo from Salentro ,Italy how bad could that be? abv around 13% I bet will see keep following time to play.🍷

Attachments

• assorted 012.jpg
    assorted 012.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 78
  • assorted 009 - Copy.jpg
    assorted 009 - Copy.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 50
  • assorted 011 - Copy.jpg
    assorted 011 - Copy.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Looks good, Joe!

remember Iv been reducing the water levels for a long time now so its no surprise to me that they finically caught up . I keep saying less is more and so it is.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here. In your case, you are talking about withholding water to make a certain SG and concentration, right? Their original product was concentrated such that you were supposed to add 7 L. But their new product is concentrated such that you were supposed to add 9 L. I am confused -- can you clarify how is this related to your practice of withholding some water?

yes it is 14L..of juice plus the bag. look at the first picture.
assorted 012.jpg

How can we tell that from the first picture? Were you able to tell by how much water you added?

Latest posts

Back