Prison couch recipe?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonohoff

Junior
Reaction score
If i want to make crude alcohol with yeast and cane sugar, what is the recipe...

If i want approximately 8 servings of alcohol aka a pint of 40% vodka, how much of the following do i need...

How much water
How much yeast
How much cane sugar
What volume of container
And How long should I let it ferment?

And what kind of % will it be undistilled?

Will the yeast i found on Amazon thats labeled as follows work?
"Saf Instant Yeast, 1 Pound Pouch"

And yes i know it will not taste good. I just want to try it for proof of concept. Im a geek lol

Thanks in advance!

And I'm sorry for this being in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it!

- Jono

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Jono, Hi. Not entirely sure what you are trying to do. One pound of sugar dissolved in water to make 1 gallon will raise the specific gravity of the water by 40 points (1.040). Fully fermented, 40 points of sugar will give you a solution that is 5.25 % ABV. Yeast - beer, bread or wine have different tolerances for both sugar concentrations and for alcohol and you are not going to find any yeast that will go beyond 16-18% at the very most. Wine is typically preferred around 12-14% ABV. Wine can take months if not years to properly age but fermentation (the conversion of sugars to carbon dioxide and alcohol by yeast) can take a few days, sometimes a week, sometimes two. Will taste like crap at that point because the yeast will have produced all kinds of chemicals that the yeast need time to re-absorb.

But if , in fact, you are into distillation and not wine making you are really in the wrong forum. No one here will discuss distillation.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's do the math.

8 pints = 16 ounces X 8 = 128 ounces

@ 40% abv = 128 X .4 = 51 ounces of alcohol.

Since 1118 powerhouse yeast will get you to 18% alcohol, lets use that.

51 ounces / .18 = 284 ounces of finished wine (2.2 gallons)

So, without distillation, each member would have to endure 35.5 ounces of your wine @ 18% alcohol to equal 16 ounces at 40%. You would need to make a 3 gallon batch with sugar around 30% to achieve the 18%.

As far as getting from 18% to your 40%, you will need to look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts