primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
how crazy is a wine fermentation? Could I put 6 G of wine is a 6.5G carboy and be ok?

It depends on the type of wine. Some fruit wines like blueberry foam a lot. Most people do their primary fermentation in a fermenting bucket and then rack to the carboy. If you are doing kits, a 6 gallon (US) is needed. a 6.5 will be too big.

Smurfe :)

You do get a fair amount of 'cap' (like a beer krausen) on most wines in primary. As smurfe suggests use a plastic primary or if you still want to use a 6.5 US Gal carboy i'd suggest using a blow off tube. Red wine stains are difficult to get out of furniture etc....;) :D

how crazy is a wine fermentation? Could I put 6 G of wine is a 6.5G carboy and be ok?

Does this tell you enough ????

foam01.jpg

This was of course after it had blown my airlock.
Foam all over the place :mad:

She who must be obeyed was not amused. :p

Be carefull.

Luc

Todd the correct answer (imho) is 'IT DEPENDS'. I use 12 US gallon primaries to start 6 gallon kits and have had ferments touch the lid. Rare, but it happens.

Personally I would not use a carboy as a primary for three reasons...

1) size
2) difficult to add ingredients to carboy
3) difficult to stir well enough

Steve

Todd the correct answer (imho) is 'IT DEPENDS'. I use 12 US gallon primaries to start 6 gallon kits and have had ferments touch the lid. Rare, but it happens.

Personally I would not use a carboy as a primary for three reasons...

1) size
2) difficult to add ingredients to carboy
3) difficult to stir well enough

Steve

Ok thanks guys. It also sounds like I should be using a 8G bucket instead of the 6.5G my beer uses. I know I should not use the same equipment but for the first batch I probably will to save some expense.

Guess I can throw my foaming experience in here. You are correct. An 8 gallon primary is optimal for what you seek. Next time I make this Mead, I will use a primary bucket instead of the carboy. I lost too much wine using this. I ended up loosing close to a gallon on that batch.

Smurfe :)

HPIM0720.jpg

A few 'cautionary tale' photos there Guys! I've always used brew buckets for primary and after the pics I won't be tempted to use carboys! :D

I'm going to have to rethink this. I figured my 6 1/2 gallon carboys would work well. I may have to go buy a bucket instead.

Latest posts

Back