Primary: to stir, or not to stir?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippoGeek

Junior
Reaction score
...that is my question!

I'm hearing people talk about stirring their wine in the primary bucket. My kit instructions, however (Island Mist Peach-Apricot Chardonnay), say *nothing* about stirring the wine in the primary stage (Step 1).

There's no stirring in Step 2, either -- it gets racked from primary to carboy and left untouched for 10 days. Only after this does it say to use "extremely vigorous stirring" (Step 3: Stabilizing and Clearing).

I've already racked the wine, so my question seems somewhat moot...but should I be stirring during primary fermentation or not? :?

Thanks in advance...

Stirring, and punching the cap down, are used in fruit wines more than kit wines. The CO2 causes the skins to rise and if not stirred in, can dry out and start molding or attracting bugs. Kits have already pressed the skins, so stirring and punching are already done.

There are those that suggest stiring kits or juice wines to allow some oxygen to get to the yeast so that they get a good start or dont get stressed. Again, kits have all of that figured out, its probably not necessary but can't hurt.

I dont think that any kit asks for stirring...

I never have stirred any of the kits i have done dont think it makes any diffrence yeast has always started no problem.

Stirring comes into play at the clearing stage get it whipped up good get the gas out let it sit and clear always worked out for me unless i screwup :se and i have more than once.

Shane

From my experience kits with bentonite and without grape skins used in the first step do not need to be stirred except at the very start. They can be be air locked on day one. However i don't believe stirring daily until you reach around SG 1.020 and then air locking will hurt your kit.

Wine kits should be stirred vigorously before pitching the yeast to mix in the bentonite. This also incorporates air into the must that the yeast needs. After that it is not necessary to stir in the primary UNLESS something is floating such as an oak tea bag or fruit. Then I would just gently stir the floating bits under, maybe use the spoon to squeeze a bag of fruit or oak. The only time I would stir very much is if the sg is not dropping fast enough, and that would be around day 5 to 7 after checking the sg. I would stir to mix up any yeast that has settled to the bottom.

Steve

I choose to stir. If I have a grape pack, it is usually twice a day, to punch down the cap. Otherwise, once a day. In both cases, I also like to think I'm helping to 'pre-degas' the wine, and also stir up any nutrient that may have settled. And, it gives me something to tinker with.

Latest posts

Back