Primary to Secondary ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviepointer

Reaction score
Hi all,
Basic question here. When moving from primary to secondary, do you try and leave as much sediment as possible behind?

I usually do, but I've seen other posts (can't remember where) talk about actually moving some of the sediment to the secondary.

Is there a reason for transfering sediment?

Thanks!

I can remember seeing some wine kits that say leave most of the sediment behind. I remember the winexpert island mist kits instructions saying this. When I do a wine from fruit or juice I try to leave all of it behind but that can be difficult sometimes, and I'm certainly not an expert at racking either way.

the yeast cake will clean up off flavors produced during fermentation. since many kits use a fining agent, a little yeast in 2ndary isn't a big deal.

Malkore:
hmm..I guess I don't quite understand your response. Are you saying you transfer the sediment to the secondary? Or are you saying you don't care if you get sediment in the secondary? or something else?

Thanks!

Personally I use my auto-siphon with anti-sediment tip and transfer the wine from primary to carboy. If some yeast/sediment gets transferred that's fine. If not, then that's probably fine too. Translation: I don't even think about it.

Now if you're making some of the RJ Spagnols kits on the 14 day primary program, and trying to skip that extra racking then it might be wise to think about it. Especially the Grand Cru Chamblaise. That was a very popular kit when I ran an FoP, and it set a LOT of sediment in the primary.

Steve

If Im racking while the wine is till fermenting and I want the wine to finish up as dry as possible then Ill stir it all up and rack everything over so that I dont leave viable yeast behind making the wine possibly not ferment to dry. If I have fermented to dryness then ill usually leave the sediment behind unless Im low in the carbo so ill take the sediment with me so as to get as much wine as I can out of it and let it settle out in the carboy.

Latest posts

Back