Primary size matters?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DageonYar

Total NeW-B
Reaction score
Hi all. Just getting ready to start my 1st home batch. It's a 1 gallon recipe, but all my primaries are 6.5Gal. Is it ok to do the 1st 10 days of a 1gal batch in a larger primary? Also, should I snap-lid and air-lock the 1st stage of fermentation? Or only worry about air-locking after racking to the secondary?

Muchos Thank you.

Primary size doesn't really matter, it's the secondary that needs to be topped off with an air lock installed. If you want to snap a lid on the primary it won't hurt but covering with a towel is all that's necessary.

Hi all. Just getting ready to start my 1st home batch. It's a 1 gallon recipe, but all my primaries are 6.5Gal. Is it ok to do the 1st 10 days of a 1gal batch in a larger primary? Also, should I snap-lid and air-lock the 1st stage of fermentation? Or only worry about air-locking after racking to the secondary?

Muchos Thank you.

If you snap the lid instead of using a towel, make sure you stir once or twice a day to get oxygen into the must.

The bigger the primary the better as it lets more air get to it just make sure you get it out of there when its time or all that space and 02 will back fire on you.

Always use a primary that is bigger as your batch.

It is possible that the wine devellops a lot of foam during the first
stages of fermentation and in a large primary it will not overflow.

Luc

Latest posts

Back