Other Primary Problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosty

Reaction score
I don't seem to be getting a seal with one of my primary fermentors. It looks fine. Only thing I can fathom is that the rubber seal is worn. Any ideas or should I chuck it?
Tks

I don't seem to be getting a seal with one of my primary fermentors. It looks fine. Only thing I can fathom is that the rubber seal is worn. Any ideas or should I chuck it?
Tks
What type of vessel is your primary? You don't need a seal for primary. Most here with ferment with a towel over the primary vessel.

Good point. I do use a plastic bucket with a seal. Now with the Winexpert kits advising doing the entire fermentation in the primary and exposing air to the must by punching down the grape skins I do worry about exposure to air.

Good point. I do use a plastic bucket with a seal. Now with the Winexpert kits advising doing the entire fermentation in the primary and exposing air to the must by punching down the grape skins I do worry about exposure to air.
The must is pretty well protected by the CO2 being generated while under fermentation. That being said, I do ferment my whites under airlock.

The must is pretty well protected by the CO2 being generated while under fermentation. That being said, I do ferment my whites under airlock.
Same situation with the cellar craft kit. My bucket is not airtight with no seal but im going to rig up an airlock for it anyways as its better than nothing. I drilled a 1/2" hole and put a paper towel over the lid to keep the fruit flies out and still have oxygen to start the fermentation. However once i get the airlock figured out for the bucket which will mean drilling a larger hole im still going to be opening it once or twice a day to punch down the muslin bag...everyone now is saying that we should not be worried about the oxygen at this point, even the kit instructions. Still worried about oxygen but we will see how it goes. I alao doubt i will need the full 14 days to complete fermenation.

...everyone now is saying that we should not be worried about the oxygen at this point, even the kit instructions. Still worried about oxygen but we will see how it goes. I alao doubt i will need the full 14 days to complete fermenation.
Theyre all saying it for a good reason. It really is a non issue— for 1st 5-7 days at least. We used to ferment juice buckets completely open with no issues at all. Well, until we ended up with a curious mouse who met his demise. (Luckily our supplier, Procacci Bros, replaced free of charge tho!)
After that we made covers from window screen mesh. I know it ain’t easy to just change your thinking after years of doing it and thinking a certain way.

Theyre all saying it for a good reason. It really is a non issue— for 1st 5-7 days at least. We used to ferment juice buckets completely open with no issues at all. Well, until we ended up with a curious mouse who met his demise. (Luckily our supplier, Procacci Bros, replaced free of charge tho!)
After that we made covers from window screen mesh. I know it ain’t easy to just change your thinking after years of doing it and thinking a certain way.

Yeah but these new kits are saying 12-14 days which is almost double. The worst part is they say place the lid loose on top or put the lid on with an airlock half filled with sulphite solution. Which is it! Lol yeah i know...a can of worms.

Back